What's your favorite food?

Pickled herring. As a youngster we would go down to the Jersey Shore for the day. On the way back we had to use a rickety wooden bridge to cross the bay to the mainland. At the approach to the bridge there would always be a guy with a big beach umbrella and a portable stand selling, not hotdogs or sandwich's, not ice cream or water ice, but big chunks of pickled herring skewered on popsicle sticks. I could savor that herring all the way to the Delaware River. Whether it is the fond memories or the fond taste eating pickled herring makes me very happy.

Pickled herring. As a youngster we would go down to the Jersey Shore for the day. On the way back we had to use a rickety wooden bridge to cross the bay to the mainland. At the approach to the bridge there would always be a guy with a big beach umbrella and a portable stand selling, not hotdogs or sandwich's, not ice cream or water ice, but big chunks of pickled herring skewered on popsicle sticks. I could savor that herring all the way to the Delaware River. Whether it is the fond memories or the fond taste eating pickled herring makes me very happy.
That is an interesting memory.

That is an interesting memory.
Yes, I suppose it is as it goes back to the late 1940's. I have a tendency to recall things that go back to when I was pretty young, a good thing for a history teacher. One of my earliest memories is VJ day when I was only two years old but that was a memorable day for everyone with the whole neighborhood going nuts in the streets and my father home in the daylight. He had been working 12 hour shifts, seven days a week (every other Sunday he had off) at the ball bearing factory and just seeing him home two days in a row was a memorable happening. I have read or been told that pickled herring on a stick was still in recent times a favorite snack in the Netherlands and Scandinavia. Perhaps some posters from Europe might know about this.

Yes, I suppose it is as it goes back to the late 1940's. I have a tendency to recall things that go back to when I was pretty young, a good thing for a history teacher. One of my earliest memories is VJ day when I was only two years old but that was a memorable day for everyone with the whole neighborhood going nuts in the streets and my father home in the daylight. He had been working 12 hour shifts, seven days a week (every other Sunday he had off) at the ball bearing factory and just seeing him home two days in a row was a memorable happening. I have read or been told that pickled herring on a stick was still in recent times a favorite snack in the Netherlands and Scandinavia. Perhaps some posters from Europe might know about this.
I don't know about the stick, but pickled herring is one of my comfort foods. I come from a Scandinavian family so it's commonly eaten. I prefer to buy the herring in wine and then mix in fresh sour cream and sliced onion, rather than the jarred herring in sour cream.

I don't know about the stick, but pickled herring is one of my comfort foods. I come from a Scandinavian family so it's commonly eaten. I prefer to buy the herring in wine and then mix in fresh sour cream and sliced onion, rather than the jarred herring in sour cream.
Any good grocery store sells it in their refrigerated section.my wife loves to eat it also.

There is a slightly different version but I can no longer find it anywhere near where I live. It is called the roll mop and the herring instead of being in chunks or small fillets instead is a whole pickled herring rolled up with some pickled vegetables inside. I used to be able to get it from a Jewish delicatessen years ago. Where I live no one even knows the name let alone sells it.

Back