What's your favorite Civil War battlefield and why?

I was curious as to what battlefields or sites are people's favorites. Obviously there's a lot of visits to Civil War sites in general on here, but I don't ever really see talk on which ones people like most in general.

At the moment, mine is Idaho's Bear River Massacre Site. It's the freshest in my mind, being the only battlefield I've visited in almost two decades.
I was curious as to what battlefields or sites are people's favorites. Obviously there's a lot of visits to Civil War sites in general on here, but I don't ever really see talk on which ones people like most in general.

At the moment, mine is Idaho's Bear River Massacre Site. It's the freshest in my mind, being the only battlefield I've visited in almost two decades.
Antietam far and away in this country. Favorite of all time is Isandlwana in South Africa

Mine is the Centralia Battlefield. Because it is so small, and the treeline along the creek close to as it was.

One can stand on the open hill where the Union dismounted to fight, and get chills envisioning more and more horsemen emerging from the trees and realize the sinking feeling they must have had knowing it was going to be a very bad day.
I went there years ago but no one could direct me to anything, acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. Only thing I could see was the memorial plaque. How do you actually get to battlefield?

I went there years ago but no one could direct me to anything, acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. Only thing I could see was the memorial plaque. How do you actually get to battlefield?
now theres signage directing to it.

you turn off s jefferson (hwy Z) onto east gano and follow signs its a couple miles

If you mean the plaque at the parking lot of the battlefield, its in area they camped, walk the trail through the little woods across Young's branch it opens up the battlefield on other side

Last edited:
Vicksburg. It is nearby but more than that its memorials are equal or better than the ones in Gettysburg. The driving recorded tour gives a great feel and overview of the battles. However I find myself thinking of the battle effects on the civilians...they were trapped, in siege and eating rats. Many of the brave were the civilians. Do we have their courage today?

I've heard of Booneville, MO, but not the battle. In 1886 my gg grandmother moved to Blackwater, just west of Booneville. I have letters postmarked Booneville, MO.
I don't believe I've ever had a chance to welcome you to the forum. Regarding Boonville, the Civil War came to town in a fairly large way four times. The first battle, in June of 1861, was one of the first land engagements of the war. State Guard forces were defeated and dispersed by a well trained force under Nathaniel Lyon. This became a running fight, starting a few miles east of town and moving into town as the State Guard scrambled. The second battle occurred on the land where I grew up and I briefly described it in my earlier post. The third "battle" wasn't much of a battle, but more of a brief occupation. Col. J.O. Shelby came through Boonville on his famous cavalry raid of autumn, 1863. It was a fast moving raid covering about 1,600 miles. He didn't stay long. The last big incident happened during Price's invasion in 1864. Again Shelby (now a General) captured the town in lightning fashion. One volley of musket fire was thrown at his troopers from a barricade at Main and Vine Streets. Then the garrison surrendered the town to Shelby and Price soon entered and established a temporary headquarters. This occupation lasted two or three days. It was during this time that Bill Anderson's guerrillas infamously came into town to meet with Price, sporting human scalps on some of their bridles.

Apart from these four incidents, there was plenty of intrigue, lots of corruption and abuse by the out of state Union troops occupying the town, and a fair amount of guerrilla activity. In other words, it was like most every other town in "Little Dixie" during the war.

My great grandfather, Ezekiel K. Schwartz, was 2nd Lt., 115th Illinois Volunteers. As part of General Gordon Granger’s Reserve Corps, General Walter Whitaker’s Brigade, they came to the aid of General George Thomas’ troops on Horseshoe Ridge at Chickamauga. I have been there several times, and it always fills me with a sense of awe. That was especially true on September 20, 2008, when I walked the exact ground where they fought 145 years earlier, at the exact time of the afternoon. I stayed for about 2 hours, until the time they withdrew. I placed flowers on the Illinois monument with a card on which I had written the names of the 115th men killed and wounded that day.

Gettysburg, I was in awe to walk those fields that were trod by so many heroes. I actually pinched myself when standing on little round top, it was amazing. Then Shiloh, the Hornets Nest, unimaginable.

My favorite battlefield is Bull Run. I grew up near Manassas so I became a frequent visitor there after having an American History teacher who sparked my interest in the Civil War. It was my favorite because of it's significance as being the first major battle fought on July 21, 1861. I got to watch a reenactment once that sucked me right into learning more about the strategy of fighting a battle. The other reason it was my favorite was because the Confederate General had such a "southern gentleman" name P.G.T. Beauregard (can't you just picture him atop his steed shouting at his men with that heavy southern draw). Lastly I like that battle because it taught the North that the South wasn't just a bunch of farm boys with guns. The Confederacy won that battle and the Union learned that winning the war wasn't going to be the walk in the park they hoped. The Confederacy also won the Second Battle of Bull Run.

klorac37, welcome to CivilWarTalk. It looks like this might be your first-ever post on the website.

If you check the Civil War History - Battle Forums area, you'll find that there is a forum dedicated specifically to First Bull Run - Second Manassas. You might want to re-enter your post on that forum.

For me, it is the sacred ground just south of the town of Franklin, Tennessee. Where some 1,750 Southern troops were killed in five hours beginning at 4:00 pm on 30 November, 1864. Additionally, among the 5,500 who were wounded or captured was my great-grandfather, a 17 yr. old private with the 17th Alabama.
As to the restoration of the battlefield, The Battle of Franklin Trust has and continues to be the driving force behind the restoration of not only the battlefield, but the surrounding buildings, homes and structures involved.
Attached is one photo of the location of my gt.grandfather’s unit ( Stewart’s Corp, Walthall’s Division, Shelly’s Brigade ), one of the beautiful Confederate Cemetery created by the legendary “Widow of the South”, Mrs. John McGavock, and lastly one of the Alabama Dead section. I took these a few years ago when I followed the Spring Hill-Franklin-Nashville portion of General Hood’s disastrous Tennessee campaign.
Thanks for opening this interesting thread.
E919A8CD-AD35-4AE1-9914-0C020F9364C7.jpeg
66398D61-F7CA-4BF3-990E-C502D35491C8.jpeg
E53B385E-D3E5-4575-AF00-DD3B7106D34E.jpeg

My favorite battlefield is Bull Run. I grew up near Manassas so I became a frequent visitor there after having an American History teacher who sparked my interest in the Civil War. It was my favorite because of it's significance as being the first major battle fought on July 21, 1861. I got to watch a reenactment once that sucked me right into learning more about the strategy of fighting a battle. The other reason it was my favorite was because the Confederate General had such a "southern gentleman" name P.G.T. Beauregard (can't you just picture him atop his steed shouting at his men with that heavy southern draw). Lastly I like that battle because it taught the North that the South wasn't just a bunch of farm boys with guns. The Confederacy won that battle and the Union learned that winning the war wasn't going to be the walk in the park they hoped. The Confederacy also won the Second Battle of Bull Run.

...and there has already been a thread started about "favorite battlefields." I'm sure that you will want to post there! Perhaps, a moderator can move your post.

Gettysburg gets all the love..deservedly so, but I really liked Shiloh & Chickamauga, big battles, off the beaten track, with lots of simultaneous small unit action. Also Stone’s River.

I was curious as to what battlefields or sites are people's favorites.

Everyone will have a different answer to your question.
And I have no doubt you will receive many diverse answers on this thread for a long time.

Your question, while interesting . . . is very subjective.

Kind of like asking who was the prettiest girl in this or that film..

Personally, my favorite battlefield is Vicksburg.
But that's just my opinion.

No doubt some consider other battlefields nicer.
That's fine as well.

Again, an interesting but a subjective question.

:smile coffee:

Last edited:
For me, Perryville, KY. I love that battlefield because it was one of the first I ever visited, it is owned by the State of Kentucky which allows the annual re-enactments to take place on the actual battlefield, and it is virtually unchanged since the war.

My favorite (so far) is Vicksburg. Both of my grandsons are home schooled and at my daughter's request I teach their history lessons. This semester is the Civil War. We will be making forays to Poison Springs, Marks Mill, Jenkins Ferry, Vicksburg, Prairie Grove, Pea Ridge and Arkansas Post. So my favorite may change depending on which ones I have the most fun at with my grandsons.

Fort Fisher to me and be able to walk the grounds my 3rd great grandfather and three of his fought and were captured at the last battle when the Fort fell, and Fort Anderson where they enlisted as volunteers.

For me, Perryville, KY. I love that battlefield because it was one of the first I ever visited, it is owned by the State of Kentucky which allows the annual re-enactments to take place on the actual battlefield, and it is virtually unchanged since the war.

I plan on visiting it and hiking the battlefield prior to the Shiloh Muster. It's got what 20 miles of hiking if you do every loop, but I think you can actually probably cut some of the milage off. Having not been there yet, not sure how feasible that actually is though.

Back