What's your favorite Civil War battlefield and why?

Harms88

Sergeant
I was curious as to what battlefields or sites are people's favorites. Obviously there's a lot of visits to Civil War sites in general on here, but I don't ever really see talk on which ones people like most in general.

At the moment, mine is Idaho's Bear River Massacre Site. It's the freshest in my mind, being the only battlefield I've visited in almost two decades.

I was curious as to what battlefields or sites are people's favorites. Obviously there's a lot of visits to Civil War sites in general on here, but I don't ever really see talk on which ones people like most in general.

At the moment, mine is Idaho's Bear River Massacre Site. It's the freshest in my mind, being the only battlefield I've visited in almost two decades.
Mine is the Centralia Battlefield. Because it is so small, and the treeline along the creek close to as it was.

One can stand on the open hill where the Union dismounted to fight, and get chills envisioning more and more horsemen emerging from the trees and realize the sinking feeling they must have had knowing it was going to be a very bad day.

There are so many near me, that's a tough question. Maybe Chaffins Farm/Ft Harrison. One of my gg grandfathers served there fro 1862-1865, before transfering to another unit and being captured at Five Forks.

I lived for three months in the woodlands of Vicksburg, and knew that battlefield by the light of the midnight moon, from April until July 4, 1990. I knew the bluffs, the river, the parts that were inaccessible. Thorn trees with 2 inch thorns, edible fruit from trees that dropped to the ground and took root. I knew Vicksburg unattended, unwitnessed, and left it unspoiled.
Lubliner.

I haven't been to all of them yet but if I could go today to one I have already been to it would be Cold Harbor. On a cold,winter weekday, you're liable to be the only one there for awhile if you get there early. It is off the beaten path. Not many monuments and small Visitor Center but earthworks everywhere and walking trails. I'd take a sack lunch and stay awhile.

Back