What's your favorite Civil War battlefield and why?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

therockdgs

Cadet
In order to do proper research for my novels, or because of reenacting, or mostly for just plain fun and adventure, I have visited almost every major battlefield east of the Mississippi at least once, including Vicksburg & Fort Donelson, and some multiple times, like Franklin, Shiloh, Chickamauga, Stones River, Antietam, Harpers Ferry, pretty much all of the Virginia ones multiple times, but Gettysburg reigns supreme. I have visited it at least 45-50 times now, and I never tire of it. I always learn or see something new! We have walked it and driven over it at all different times of day and evening. I have been at the Angle at exactly the time Pickett's Charge took place on July 3rd on the 145th anniversary, etc. I have re-created the charge with my friends and pards. I have climbed up Little Round Top and Devil's Den, Culp's Hill in the daytime and evening, East Cavalry Field, etc. and we have witnessed some sights purely unexplained by science. To me, this is a very sacred place, and the spirits live on there. I never tire of visiting it. It is because of some of those experiences that I will NOT go out there on the battlefield at night.

huskerblitz

Captain
Chickasaw Bayou, Mississippi. I had relatives that fought there, and one that died there. The battle itself is, in my opinion, underrepresented and underreported on. The battle itself is a fascinating study, even beyond my personal connection to it. Granted, the ground is mostly private farmland and prone to flooding (like last summer when I traveled back down there) but the overall layout remains pretty much the same as it was in Dec. 1862.

Taylin

Corporal
Chickamauga for sure. While down south I visited Shiloh, Corinth, Parker's Crossroads, Lookout Mountain and Chickamauga. Chickamauga was surprisingly set aside from the busy city sprawl of Chattanooga TN / Fort Oglethorpe GA. I spent 3 days on that battlefield tracing the movements of the 38th Indiana while reading a regimental history on them called Enough to Make Angels Weep: A History of the Thirty-Eighth Indiana Infantry. It was a surreal experience being able to look across a field described in the book and vividly imagine rebels pouring out of the trees.

Michael W.

First Sergeant
I plan on visiting it and hiking the battlefield prior to the Shiloh Muster. It's got what 20 miles of hiking if you do every loop, but I think you can actually probably cut some of the milage off. Having not been there yet, not sure how feasible that actually is though.
The terrain is very hilly. IMHO only a seasoned hiker in good shape could do the entire route. And I know that is not me..:bounce:

Harms88

Private
The terrain is very hilly. IMHO only a seasoned hiker in good shape could do the entire route. And I know that is not me..:bounce:
I myself do about 10 miles worth of walking a day (one of the joys of working two jobs) but for the most part it's either indoors or parking lots with the hardest thing is stairs that go up four floors. Once spring comes out though, I want to start actually hiking trails near my apartment to get into the shape needed.....but not sure I'll be there by late April. lol