What's On Your Civil War Bucket List?

Neither drive is much fun either.
I don't recall Memphis to Shiloh being too bad. Lotsa towns between Nashville and Shiloh. Lotta traffic in Nashville/Franklin.

Just to demonstrate my total and irredeemable geekiness, I'll admit what I would really like to do is go to Raleigh, NC, and spend about a week visiting the State Archives and some other libraries in that area. There are documents relating to the 1st and 3rd NC Infantry regiments there that I'd like to study.

Neither drive is much fun either.

Don't try to drive straight to Shiloh from Memphis - take the highway from Memphis through northern Mississippi to Corinth where there are plenty of facilities, visit & stay there; then go to Shiloh the following morning after breakfast in Corinth. It's only about a 20-30 minute drive to Shiloh NMP.

Don't try to drive straight to Shiloh from Memphis - take the highway from Memphis through northern Mississippi to Corinth where there are plenty of facilities, visit & stay there; then go to Shiloh the following morning after breakfast in Corinth. It's only about a 20-30 minute drive to Shiloh NMP.
It took Halleck weeks/months to get from Shiloh to Corinth.

I'd travel the route of my ancestor and his unit's journey serving in the 11th Iowa infantry from 1861-1864. From mustering in at Davenport, then sailing downriver to St Louis, then the numerous overland locations they saw throughout Missouri. Then sailing south again; joining Grant at Pittsburg Landing, then battles at Shiloh and Corinth and then duties and actions eastward towards Chattanooga/ Chickamauga area. I'd finally jump off at Gaylesville AL where the unit was located before joining Sherman's march. That's where my 3gr grandfather mustered out at end of his enlistment.

About 15 years ago I was in NYC for business and stopped into a bookstore. Looking through the "bargain table" I found a book entitled Generals at Rest. It is a compilation of the final resting places of all 425 Confederate General officers. I've been slowly visiting the grave sites within reach of home but the operative word is slowly.
I decided to do something about that. Starting on October 22, my gun dog, Hendrix (see avatar), and I are heading to NC to visit those who are resting in NC.
No fixed agenda is set. Just a list of towns and cemeteries to find. I figure it will take a couple of weeks of wandering around and walking with Hendrix to get it done stopping along the way to see stuff that piques our interest.
The only hurdle I anticipate is finding dog friendly lodging but we'll figure that out as we make the journey.
Odd CW bucket list but one that at least will provide some exercise and good times with the critter.

Just to demonstrate my total and irredeemable geekiness, I'll admit what I would really like to do is go to Raleigh, NC, and spend about a week visiting the State Archives and some other libraries in that area. There are documents relating to the 1st and 3rd NC Infantry regiments there that I'd like to study.
Who among us is not geeky?!! :laugh:

Last edited:
Pardon if this may seem a tad off target, but I above all else want to walk the Little Big Horn Battlefield in Montana. Custer has always been of big interest to me...
You would love it!!! I have been there many times. Just be careful about the rattlesnakes....I got bit by one shortly before I moved from Montana.

I wouldn't know where to begin, actually. Currently residing in Las Vegas, Nevada, so thoughts of traveling through the South to the Deep South and then up the Eastern Seaboard to New York seem heavenly.

Just for starters :smile:

Last edited:
I'd travel the route of my ancestor and his unit's journey serving in the 11th Iowa infantry from 1861-1864. From mustering in at Davenport, then sailing downriver to St Louis, then the numerous overland locations they saw throughout Missouri. Then sailing south again; joining Grant at Pittsburg Landing, then battles at Shiloh and Corinth and then duties and actions eastward towards Chattanooga/ Chickamauga area. I'd finally jump off at Gaylesville AL where the unit was located before joining Sherman's march. That's where my 3gr grandfather mustered out at end of his enlistment.
Greetings! Which company in the 11th Iowa? My great great grandfather served in Company E of the 11th Iowa.

Back