What's On Your Civil War Bucket List?

Make it to all of THAT GUY'S battle sites, and in the process, really spend time at Shiloh... we just hit the high points last year. I'm also chasing down all my ACW relatives, but I'm afraid I'll never make it to Chicago to see the names of the Sanders boys. I'll just keep going to Franklin and seeing where they fell or were captured (whole raft of cousins lost that day.
One more... getting to Missouri and seeing Pea Ridge on the way.

Make it to all of THAT GUY'S battle sites, and in the process, really spend time at Shiloh... we just hit the high points last year. I'm also chasing down all my ACW relatives, but I'm afraid I'll never make it to Chicago to see the names of the Sanders boys. I'll just keep going to Franklin and seeing where they fell or were captured (whole raft of cousins lost that day.
One more... getting to Missouri and seeing Pea Ridge on the way.
Sounds great. Follow That Guy.

I've been to every NPS battlefield, and most of the state ones, too. My ultimate dream was to go up into the cupola of the Lutheran Theological Seminary, and stand where John Buford stood, but at that time is was private. Now that there is public access, I fulfilled that dream 2 years ago. Everything else pales to me now. But I'm stuck for the next year and a half with college, so it will be 2019 before I can plan anything again...

I suppose I really ought to get back to Eastern Virginia to places like Richmond-Petersburg-Wilderness-Spotsylvania because it's been twenty or thirty years since I've been there. But I'm afraid I'll be disgusted by all the cancerous growth that has taken place since I was there before. I also need to see Bentonville, Andersonville, and Olustee, probably the only remaining significant sites I've never been to. Like some others here, I'd also like to see the Hunley since it's now on display. Earlier this year I finally made it to central Kentucky and the battlefields there.

I suppose I really ought to get back to Eastern Virginia to places like Richmond-Petersburg-Wilderness-Spotsylvania because it's been twenty or thirty years since I've been there. But I'm afraid I'll be disgusted by all the cancerous growth that has taken place since I was there before. I also need to see Bentonville, Andersonville, and Olustee, probably the only remaining significant sites I've never been to. Like some others here, I'd also like to see the Hunley since it's now on display. Earlier this year I finally made it to central Kentucky and the battlefields there.
Chancellorsville is pristine in parts and suburban in other parts. There is a fence around a resort/campground about a 100 feet behind the cannon on top of Hazel Grove. There are houses on one side of Brock Road - Wilderness on the other side. Todd's Tavern is a convenience store. The Mule Shoe at Spotsylvania is well preserved but the wall at the foot of Marye's Heights is a reproduction situated along the edge of the visitor center parking lot. Lee's overlook in the Seven Days vicinity is just off a major thoroughfare lined with strip malls, offices and fast food joints. Most of the Seven Days sites are just historical markers. Somehow, with all that stuff, I love the Civil War sites in eastern Virginia. Catherine's furnace, Groveton, Chinn Ridge, Gordon's flank trail, the Lacy house, the stone house on Warrenton Turnpike, trenches at Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor and Petersburg, Tredegar Iron Works, and Stonewall's shrine at Guinea Station are all places that make up for the suburban encroachment.

Last edited:
I don't have much of a bucket list. Visiting big battlefields does not interest me. What I like is finding the small little skirmish locations. I like finding the ambush sites, the one-on-one confrontation sites. My interest is in the guerrilla war in Missouri, so these kinds of sites fit my interest perfectly.

I don't have much of a bucket list. Visiting big battlefields does not interest me. What I like is finding the small little skirmish locations. I like finding the ambush sites, the one-on-one confrontation sites. My interest is in the guerrilla war in Missouri, so these kinds of sites fit my interest perfectly.
I confess to knowing next to zero about the guerilla war in Missouri beyond what was shown in The Outlaw Josie Wales.

Back