Member Review "Whatever You Resolve to Be"

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
greene.jpg

Whatever You Resolve to Be is the title of a book by A. Wilson Greene, the title itself taken from one of the familliar maxims of its subject, Thomas Johnathan "Stonewall" Jackson: "You may be whatever you resolve to be." This isn't a new book by any means, published in 1992 by Butternut and Blue Press, but was to me when I found it a month ago at my favorite huge used/discontinued book store. Greene was a long-time NPS ranger at Fredericksburg-Spotsylvania NMP where he worked with that expert on Jackson's battles, Chief Historian Robert K. Krick who also wrote the introduction to this. Instead of a conventional biography or campaign study, Greene has compiled five of his essays on particular battles or aspects of his subject's life: Stonewall Jackson: The Man Behind the Legend; Failure or Scapegoat: Jackson at the Seven Days; Artistry in August: Jackson at Second Manassas; Opportunity to the South: Meade vs. Jackson at Fredericksburg; and The Generalship of Stonewall Jackson.

The first chapter is a short sketch of Jackson's life up to the Civil War and mentions many of his better-known foibles and the part they played in shaping his character; here there are also references to his family life during the war up until his death. The final chapter is a well-thought-out assessment of his wartime career and speculation on his subsequent reputation and place as a Confederate hero and Great Captain. The three "battle" chapters between these contain the most interesting material for someone already familliar with Jackson, however, because they eschew the usual ( First Manassas, The Valley Campaign, and Chancellorsville ) for a closer look at lesser-known and not always successful actions on the Virginia Peninsula, Second Manassas, and Fredericksburg. The chapter on the Peninsula is probably the most controversial, as Greene essentially "takes Jackson's side", demonstrating how various factors likely combined to contribute to Stonewall's actions that are usually depicted as gross and inexplicable failures. Jackson is seen as only one among the entire cast of Confederate commanders ( including Lee ) who failed to measure up to their new-found responsibilities.

The chapters on Fredericksburg and especially Second Manassas return Jackson to highpoints of his career. This Manassas could also be considered as Lee's masterpiece, but without Jackson's independent maneuvers would've likely been impossible. The Fredericksburg chapter is almost more Meade's story than Jackson's, seeing as how the North held the initiative in the battle, but for once relates the story as much more than merely the head-on assault against the stone wall that it's often portrayed. Jackson's often testy relationship with his subordinates, in this case A. P. Hill, also comes in for a share of criticism. Overall, this is a fine study of Jackson for anyone wanting to know more about him; and an especially interesting look at these lesser-known and often disregarded actions.

Last edited:

This photo was SO HUGE my computer ( lacking a HS internet connection ) REFUSED to download it, so I've had to wait until today and my next trip to my nearby public library to SEE it! I think I remember seeing this when I visited VMI back in 1998 and my last Shenandoah trip, but had forgotten it. It's an appropriate maxim to be posted in an educational institution, particularly THIS one!

This photo was SO HUGE my computer ( lacking a HS internet connection ) REFUSED to download it, so I've had to wait until today and my next trip to my nearby public library to SEE it! I think I remember seeing this when I visited VMI back in 1998 and my last Shenandoah trip, but had forgotten it. It's an appropriate maxim to be posted in an educational institution, particularly THIS one!

Aw, I would have shrunken it down for you....took it when we were in Hagerstown at the CW Trust Teacher Institute in 2008. We had enough time on Sunday to run up the valley to Lexington, and unfortunately, they were doing remodeling, so all the furniture is out in the breezeway. But it's pretty neat, anyway.

Sounds like something Henry Ford said: "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." (Paraphrased, of course.)

Pfcjking,
Stonewall Jackson was commissioned Colonel by the Governor of Virginia, John Letcher. The Great Train Raid against the Baltimore and Ohio railroad earned him fame and glory and he was made Brigadier. He won his position with his sword and brilliance.
Civil War Scholar,

I've always thought this is an excellent book. My father gave it to me as a gift the year it was published. The author of the introduction, Robert Krick, mentions other books on Jackson; ones considered important and others he had less praise of and I found myself reading the ones I could find as well.

View attachment 27186Whatever You Resolve to Be is the title of a book by A. Wilson Greene, the title itself taken from one of the familliar maxims of its subject, Thomas Johnathan "Stonewall" Jackson: "You may be whatever you resolve to be."
Thanks for the review. I'll have to pick it up....

Aw, I would have shrunken it down for you....took it when we were in Hagerstown at the CW Trust Teacher Institute in 2008. We had enough time on Sunday to run up the valley to Lexington, and unfortunately, they were doing remodeling, so all the furniture is out in the breezeway. But it's pretty neat, anyway.
that's ALL!!??? the furniture??

Back