Restricted What year would Davis' presidency have ended?

Harms88

Sergeant
So, according to Confederate law, via the CS Constitution if I recall correctly, the President of the Confederacy would only have one term, and that would last for 6 years. So, would Davis, if the South had lasted either via a Confederate victory or the Civil War simply lasted longer, have ended his presidency in '66 or '67?

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel
So, according to Confederate law, via the CS Constitution if I recall correctly, the President of the Confederacy would only have one term, and that would last for 6 years. So, would Davis, if the South had lasted either via a Confederate victory or the Civil War simply lasted longer, have ended his presidency in '66 or '67?
Yes.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant

The 1861 government was provisional. A permanent government was established in 1862.
Davis was selected by the delegates in convention in February 1861. He won a general election in November 1861.

Last edited:
I'm missing something here. He was elected as Provisional President in February of 1861. Then he was elected Confederate President by popular vote in November of 1861. Inaugurations were Feb. of 1861 , then another in Feb. Of 1862. How is 1866 figuring into the question being asked? I don't have a copy of the CS constitution in front of me but the six year expiration date would depend on how it's worded . 61 + 6 =67.

Harms88

Sergeant
I'm missing something here. He was elected as Provisional President in February of 1861. Then he was elected Confederate President by popular vote in November of 1861. Inaugurations were Feb. of 1861 , then another in Feb. Of 1862. How is 1866 figuring into the question being asked? I don't have a copy of the CS constitution in front of me but the six year expiration date would depend on how it's worded . 61 + 6 =67.

First I forgot that he was only the Provisional President until the later official election.

Secondly, it would also have determined how they decided what qualified as a year. So, say, the Civil War has 5 Aprils in it, and you could say there are 5 years of war. So April-December 1861 is 1 year, January to December 1862-1864 would be years 2, 3 and 4 and January-April 1865 is a 5th year. The other way is obviously that it's the anniversary of the start of the war that determines when the next year of the war started.

So it's, would it be the anniversary that would determine each year or would, say New Years Eve be considered the end of a Presidential year, no matter how few months there would have been prior to the New Year.

If it makes sense that's what I was asking.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
First I forgot that he was only the Provisional President until the later official election.

Secondly, it would also have determined how they decided what qualified as a year. So, say, the Civil War has 5 Aprils in it, and you could say there are 5 years of war. So April-December 1861 is 1 year, January to December 1862-1864 would be years 2, 3 and 4 and January-April 1865 is a 5th year. The other way is obviously that it's the anniversary of the start of the war that determines when the next year of the war started.

So it's, would it be the anniversary that would determine each year or would, say New Years Eve be considered the end of a Presidential year, no matter how few months there would have been prior to the New Year.

If it makes sense that's what I was asking.
Davis' presidential term (permanent gov't) began on February 22, 1862 and would have ended on the same month and day in 1868.