Discussion What would the Gods and Generals, nevermind the privates think of the prices today?

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
What do you think the CW vets (on either side) would think? JEB would probably love it. If he had lived, I could see him signing even more autographed CDVs. Lee would have deplored the whole thing, some would have been simply bemused, and then others would be scrabbling to where they left that gun or Whitworth under the tree, eaves or barn!

You can keep the CDV's now if Ole JEB wanted to pull a button off his coat and sign a little note stating it came from his coat I would be all over it. :D

Seriously, can you imagine any of the cavalry believing a stirrup or a bit going for 200.00 and up? They would be dumbfounded! Never mind pieces of shot and shell.

If I had the money to buy these expensive items I don't know if I would.
Grant's presentation sword - $1,673,000
JEB Stuart's battle flag - $956,000
R.E. Lee surrender documents - $537,750

What do you think the CW vets (on either side) would think? JEB would probably love it. If he had lived, I could see him signing even more autographed CDVs. Lee would have deplored the whole thing, some would have been simply bemused, and then others would be scrabbling to where they left that gun or Whitworth under the tree, eaves or barn!
Probably the same thing reenactors say when they see the fakes selling on eBay..."wow I'm rich, I have a whole basement (trunk) full of that stuff"...…….

Back