1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

What Were the Confederate Soldier Reasons for Fighting

Discussion in 'Civil War History - Secession and Politics' started by 1stvermont, Nov 16, 2016.

1. James B White

James B White Captain Trivia Game Winner Honored Fallen Comrade

It doesn't indicate whether there are accounting records. Most people would be bored by them, but real accountants, probably, and nerds like me find that kind of stuff fascinating.

I checked, and basic accounting does seem to have been around back to Washington's day, as well as the late antebellum examples I've seen. In fact, it seems just a tad older than Wahington's day, even. From Wikipedia:

I had to learn that stuff so I could give accounts from my business to my real CPA accountant, so he could make sense out of them for the IRS, and I hate to admit it, but I actually found it fun.

It makes me wonder, though, how a plantation would set up a bookkeeping system, even if only for its own use, entering slaves as assets, keeping track of their associated costs, to see what was the most profitable way to handle them. Would a bank expect such records when giving loans or mortgages on slaves?

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. rpkennedy

rpkennedy Major

I married an accountant. You're a sick man to find this interesting, my friend. :wink:

Ryan

James B White and unionblue like this.
  4. James B White

James B White Captain Trivia Game Winner Honored Fallen Comrade

5. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 1st Lieutenant

https://books.google.com/books?id=T... vindicate a constitutional argument.&f=false

Nevertheless it has not seemed the whole truth to me that the Confederate soldier went into battle to vindicate a constitutional argument. He went to war because he loved his people, because his country was invaded, because his heart was throbbing for his hearthstone. Here was the land which gave him birth; here was his childhood's home; here were the graves of his dead; here was the church spire where he had learned it was not all of life to live nor all of death to die. No hostile foot should ever tread this consecrated ground except over his dead body. It was the prospect of invasion that made the men of the border States with bleeding hearts go and cast their lot with the Confederacy. He who could have expected a Lee to do battle against Virginia or a Hampton to draw his sword against South Carolina has never learned the language of the human heart. Nothing but the most devoted love of country could ever have sustained the Confederate soldier in his unequal and terrible struggle.- Stephen Dill Lee

6. jgoodguy

jgoodguy Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

You left out bored, get away from Daddy, get away from the farm, see the world, for the money, to see the elephant, avoid jail, avoid impression or impress a woman. Then there was the fact that there were many dissertations for some reason.

7. alan polk

alan polk First Sergeant

Were they taking correspondence courses, too? I'd love to locate and read their "dissertations"! :bounce: Sorry, couldn't help!:smile coffee:

Yankeedave likes this.
  8. jgoodguy

Yankeedave likes this.
  9. jgoodguy

Little known fact is that Confederate recruiting poster designers post war went to work for correspondence colleges.

Yankeedave, leftyhunter and alan polk like this.
  10. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Major

Conscription?
    Leftyhunter

Yankeedave and Andersonh1 like this.
  11. Karen Lips

Karen Lips 2nd Lieutenant

Sad, but true.

unionblue likes this.
  12. atlantis

atlantis First Sergeant

To defend their family and home. And to defend the right of men to liberty and all other natural rights bestowed upon them by the Creator.

13. thomas aagaard

thomas aagaard 2nd Lieutenant

And the right to own other human beings... also something the Creater also thinks was a good idea according to the bible.

leftyhunter likes this.
  14. unionblue

unionblue Brev. Brig. Gen'l Member of the Year

You cannot ever, never, divorce slavery from the rest of you post above.

It's a historical, package deal.

Eagle eye and leftyhunter like this.
  15. jgoodguy

***edited***

Gentlemen just because someone posts, does not mean a response is needed.
    I have observed this member making rather random comments which in my opinion does not add to this honorable forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2017
    Bee likes this.
  16. unionblue

Moderator jgoodguy,

I have hopes for this member therefore the reasons for my replies.

No offense intended.

Sincerely,
    Unionblue

jgoodguy and leftyhunter like this.
  17. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

I recently finished reading Kenneth W. Noe's book, Reluctant Rebels, which studies the men who joined the confederate army after 1861.

“As a group, late-enlisting Confederates were less ideological politically than the men who went before them. While a few vociferous examples to the contrary existed, most of them wrote little or nothing about Confederate nationalism, much less their revolutionary forebears, liberty, subjugation, or states’ rights, all words and concepts that are commonly found in the letters of 1861 enlistees. Nor were they much concerned with conceptions of honor and duty. That relative lack of interest in politics seems to have retarded enlistments in the war’s first year, especially in the Upper South. The one exception was slavery, which was just as important to later enlisters as to the earliest firebrands. … ardent proslavery advocates admittedly were as rare among them as the soldiers of 1861, but the percentage of slave owners and their sons among the later men actually was comparable to the regional average, undermining the assertions of some scholars that the war had become ‘a rich man’s war and poor man’s fight.’ Later-enlisting Confederates as a group, men from the cotton states especially, and most of all those who benefitted from slave labor personally, openly accepted slavery as natural and desirable. They particularly opposed emancipation. In contrast, only three men in the sample spoke out against what they saw as a war to preserve slavery for Southern aristocrats.” [Kenneth W. Noe, Reluctant Rebesl: The Confederates Who Joined the Army After 1861, pp. 9-10]

18. jgoodguy

None taken. Just a common black letter post.
    Not as a moderator, but as an observer.

19. unionblue

Understood.

20. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Major

Not to mention slavery cuts down the cost of dating with a huge bonus no paternity suits. Also the slave owner can sell his kid for a premium especially if it is a girl since she will be of lighter complexion. A win win for the slave owner.
    Leftyhunter

Eagle eye likes this.
  21. jgoodguy

From the above source P9-10

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)