What weapon would be your first choice to start a collection?

Indicative weapons of the ACW might include: a Springfield Model 1861 or Enfield Model 1853 rifled musket, a Colt or Remington Army/Navy revolver, or a Model 1840 or 1860 cavalry saber. They all look great on display. Have your friend do extensive research on his final decision and purchase the best piece he can afford from a reputable seller.

I would love to own a LeMatt.
Understand.
That is one of the quandaries. Does one select items that were widely used or items that are unique? Although I don't own a LeMatt, I'd like to, just because it is different and rarer than say a Colt.
Similarly, should one buy a Spenser Carbine, a Burnside or a Gwynn and Campbell Carbine?

Have your friend do extensive research on his final decision and purchase the best piece he can afford from a reputable seller.
Great advice.
We'd all like to have every beauty we come across. Lots of offerings on the internet. Since I 'lurk' in on-line auctions to get a flavor for what's out there, I suggested he do the same. He saw a lot on sale, but pricey (and he wasn't aware of the 20%-30% commission). I suggested that if he sees something, he ought to look for it at a dealer or gun show, where he can actually see for himself what he's buying.
Like all new enthusiasts, he's 'rarin' to go', single with money in his pocket (about $1000.00). A lot like me when I started drooling over antique firearms, but with a heck of a lot more free cash! I 'drooled' over Remingtons for years before I finally was able to afford one.

Similarly, should one buy a Spenser Carbine, a Burnside or a Gwynn and Campbell Carbine?

I would get one of each, but for starters I would go with a Burnside and work my way up.

He should try and focus on one item type first after buying books on that field of items. From there he will get the bug and collect as the dollars allow.
I like your suggestion about getting some good reference books. They can tell him far more than I can, and help him decide.

I'll add that although it wasn't my choice, my very first weapon was a Christmas gift from my mother, a M.1860 cavalry saber imported and marked by Henry Boker - Solingen. After that, the bug had bit hard and deep! Much later, my first revolver was a Colt Navy made in 1862 and my first shoulder arm was a non-CW British Enfield.

Something simple and cheap unless they have done a great deal of research on what they want. First purchases are somewhat like first loves, they are wonderful until they break your heart and then you have to write it up as a learning experience. BTW, my first purchase was a genuine Confederate saber that wasn't.

C.W. firearms is such a complex category for collecting, I think one should sit down and really think hard about what they want (I know, the answer to that question is: We want it all!). Research and education should be first of course, but when it comes time to buy, the first thing to consider is what you can afford. It is always better to be patient and wait until you can afford a good quality firearm than rashly buy a junker. I believe that you should subcategorize into a specific type or field. Muskets, carbines, or revolvers? I think a good cavalry carbine collection is top notch. I specifically collect Union Navy issued and Indiana identified weapons. It is still a wide array of weapons, but considerably narrowed down. That being said, I say this: If you're going to do it, at some point everyone should own a Spencer.

C.W. firearms is such a complex category for collecting,
You've got that right!
Just yesterday I was looking at a number of variations of Springfield rifles currently for sale online. New York contracts, Colts, etc. Even when one picks a particular weapon, there are many variations to choose from.
If I were to start over, I'd pick a unit- perhaps one a family member served in- and try to limit myself to arms and accouterments they would have carried. It certainly would force focus... and maybe limit the number of items, perhaps even save money. That's one of the suggestions I made.

I specifically collect Union Navy issued and Indiana identified weapons. It is still a wide array of weapons, but considerably narrowed down. That being said, I say this: If you're going to do it, at some point everyone should own a Spencer.
I recently saw a Spencer Rifle issued 8th Indiana Volunteer Cavalry offered at an online auction. In need of some TLC, but sold for $2185 (plus whatever the auction premium).
I was curious and looked up the unit, which was mounted infantry.

I recently saw a Spencer Rifle issued 8th Indiana Volunteer Cavalry offered at an online auction. In need of some TLC, but sold for $2185 (plus whatever the auction premium).
The auction premiums are often in the range of 10-15%.

Even if it needed work, that price was a steal. The 8th Indiana Cav. was originally designated the 39th Indiana Mounted Infantry. Armed with Spencer's, the 39th Indiana had the unique circumstance of falling in on the left flank of Wilder's Brigade on day 2 of Chickamauga (also armed with Spencer's). They fought right along side of Wilder's unit, and about a month after the battle were refitted as cavalry. A dealer I have done business with had one that he listed on his website several years ago, listed for 5,250.00. I couldn't afford it but determined to get it because I knew the opportunity might not come again (that's what credit cards are for...lol). I was too late, it sold 15 minutes after it was listed.

Back