What weapon would be your first choice to start a collection?

[QUOTE="Package4, Need to win the lottery to own a nice one!

To own a LeMatt, probably the lottery is a necessity. But a nice Confederate Navy, English made LeMat wouldn't hurt too awfully bad. :smile coffee:

I would recommend first, choose either a branch of service or make of firearm. If you go for Infantry, then start with a couple high quality long arms. Springfield, Enfield, the like. Perhaps even look for early war percussion conversions like an 1816 Harper's Ferry... As your friend becomes a bit more discerning, he can always delve into more unusual or rare examples like an 1841 Rifle or a Richmond Rifle Musket.

The point here is simple, I've seen lots of fakes out there. Once he's cut his teeth on a few more common firearms, and learns to tell the difference between authentic antiques and intentionally misrepresented copies, THEN he can pursue more unusual and desirable specimens.

That's my two-cents worth.

Indicative weapons of the ACW might include: a Springfield Model 1861 or Enfield Model 1853 rifled musket, a Colt or Remington Army/Navy revolver, or a Model 1840 or 1860 cavalry saber. They all look great on display. Have your friend do extensive research on his final decision and purchase the best piece he can afford from a reputable seller.

Another couple thoughts: In terms of actual Civil War history, an authentic piece will never lose it's value. But depending on what you purchase and how much you spend, it could be a while before your item's actual resale value catches up with your purchase price should you or your descendants ever decide to sell it. Also, document the item including a detailed description, serial numbers & markings, known history, photos, receipts, etc. as some homeowners insurance will not cover the loss of your item if it is not specified in your insurance policy.

The point here is simple, I've seen lots of fakes out there. Once he's cut his teeth on a few more common firearms, and learns to tell the difference between authentic antiques and intentionally misrepresented copies, THEN he can pursue more unusual and desirable specimens.
That's my two-cents worth.

I see that most folks here are interested primarily on long guns. Being on a fixed low-dollar income, and cannot afford original guns, I am interested primarily in replica ACW era revolvers to satisfy my craving. As a collector of such, I have 8 different Pietta 1851 Navy .36 "type" revolvers, 6 of which are Confederate guns (Griswold & Gunnison, Leech & Rigdon, Rigdon & Ansley, Schneider & Glassick, August Machine Works, and Columbus Firearms Manufacturing Company) and 2 Yankee guns (1851 Navy Second Model Squareback and 1851 Navy Third/Fourth Model).

My next project is a Griswold & Gunnison defarb utilizing a Dixie Gun Works 1851 Navy .36 brass frame. I will turn the octagonal barrel down on the lathe to be a part octagon/part round and will eliminate any proof marks/date code. The barrel and the smooth cylinder are in the white in the kit. I intend to plum brown the barrel, cylinder, and the screws to simulate aging.

I have a 1/16" steel number and letter stamp set to set new serial numbers in the historically correct places, as well as certain alpha inspector/assembly marks in the correct places.

Make no mistake: the pistol will be marked PIETTA on the underside of the barrel (hidden by the load lever), on the grip frame (hidden by the wood), and on the frame water table under the cylinder.

It will look like an original from the exterior but it will never pass as an original, and I want it to be easily discernible as a replica.

There are too many people trying to make big money on fakes.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Regards,

Jim

[QUOTE="Package4, Need to win the lottery to own a nice one!

To own a LeMatt, probably the lottery is a necessity. But a nice Confederate Navy, English made LeMat wouldn't hurt too awfully bad. :smile coffee:

LP. Thus one hurt a bunch, serial number 8820. Purchased way back in 1993, it ate up an entire year's "gun money" budget.

Fortunately for me in 1993 the London LeMat wasn't well known as having been made for the CS Navy hence it was the least expensive of the LeMats and therefore it was somewhat affordable. Now the London made guns are on par with the earlier manufactured revolvers in regard to their values.

It would take a lottery win in order for me to be able to buy one today.

20181206_152542.jpg

20181206_201059.jpg

Scrubby - What condition is your M-1841 Rifle in now?
J.
It is a relic/parts gun to nearly anyone but me. The trail is cold from the end of hostilities (after which, I presume it was converted to the set trigger it now wears) to the early 1970's when my G-father and GG-father unearthed three rifles while digging around a known Klamath River indian settlement that was forcibly vacated by mining concerns post-WWI. No original wood remained on any of the weapons, one went to a crooked attorney in the 1980's, the other two were given to me, as gramps' favorite grandchild. I've returned the M1873 1st Model to service, now it is the Whitney rifles turn.
What I have to start with is a rusty barrel, the middle band and nose cap, both spring clips, a U.S. -marked butt plate, brass trigger plate with set-trigger mechanism intact, lock plate and hammer and the bar. No patchbox or trigger guard or ramrod. Lockplate is marked Eli Whitney 1851 and New Haven. Gramps was a jack-of-all-trades, and had fashioned a decent 75% shaped stock from black walnut.

My first purchase was in my opinion the quintessential civil war infantry longarm, a Springfield model 1863 type 2 (model 1864) in untouched and well used condition, an honest, been there looking, in the black condition cool looking musket. No question about it"s authenticity.

Lol!!! We all have dreams. You dream much bigger than me. :thumbsup: Sigh....I'd love some swords, and a tattered old Rebel Flag, and...and....and..... Alas, lack of time, opportunity but mainly $ is the barrier to achieving those dreams. The ACW is so fascinating in so many ways. Virtually anything from that time would be a welcome addition to the collection.

Oh...and getting back to the main question posted, ask yourself if you want a gun just to show or one that you can fire. If the ability to use the gun (target practice, plinking, hunting) appeals to you then make sure its in firing condition. Always test fire it safely (more than once) before using it freely.....especially if its the Napoleon cannon mentioned by Zburkett :smile:

I thought a good place to start was with a Springfield or Enfield rifle musket because that is what comes to many people's minds when they think of a Civil War weapon. That is certainly the case for me. I was fortunate enough to find an 1861 dated Springfield. I paid a little more than I had planned to, but I got a musket in nice condition that I am certain was issued and used. For me, this was a very good place to start.

Here is my favorite tip for getting Civil War artifacts inexpensively. Lamson Goodnow & Co. was one of the major suppliers of cutlery and other stuff before, during and after the war. In 1855 they became Lamson and Goodnow Mfg. Co. so if you can find something marked & Co. it is of the era. A worn out dinner knife could have been carried by a soldier. I don't know where you live but here in Virginia it is amazing what you run across in flea markets, junk shops and auctions.

Look at a lot until you find something that talks to you, until you do it is just a collection If all you do is follow someone else, or buy only on value its not you.
I have no interest in one in mint condition, it has nothing to tell you. find a good one. that you can handle and fondle
I think that the above is the correct advice/philosophy. I have seen a number of ACW guns like Starr's and Whitney's for sale and they have no appeal for me, so i didnt buy them. Yet an 1849 Pocket Colt with 4 inch barrel (it has to be the 4 inch barrel!!!...sigh) is a MUST HAVE for me...in fact I need a pair of them! A fun little gun for hunting squirrels! Thats an item that "speaks to me" Doesnt matter if anyone elsee considers it an essential part of their collection. If you feel a real.passion or excitement for it, thats what you buy.

Here is my favorite tip for getting Civil War artifacts inexpensively. Lamson Goodnow & Co. was one of the major suppliers of cutlery and other stuff before, during and after the war. In 1855 they became Lamson and Goodnow Mfg. Co. so if you can find something marked & Co. it is of the era. A worn out dinner knife could have been carried by a soldier. I don't know where you live but here in Virginia it is amazing what you run across in flea markets, junk shops and auctions.
I owned - until it was stolen in a smash-n-grab burglary, that is - a LG&Y (Lamson, Goodnow, & Yale) M.1861 Special Model musket dated 1863 that was essentially the same as Colt's and which served as the pattern for the Springfield M.1863.

Back