What Was the Main Cause of the Civil War? (poll)

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

What Was the Main Cause of the Civil War?

• Mainly About States' Rights

Votes: 31 19.5%
  • Mainly About Slavery

Votes: 95 59.7%
  • Both Equally

Votes: 31 19.5%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
I am under no obligation to agree with you.

It is clearly understood you are under no obligation to agree with any of us here at CivilWarTalkAnd. But be aware, the exact opposite is true for those who do not agree with you. Civil discussion, a presentation of the evidence and sources that support your point of view is very much welcome. It is the debate over those citations and sources that causes much learning here. Hope you will participate in that learning.

you won’t be convincing me of anything if you’re reaction is to say “I’m wasting my time.”

I will admit in the other poster's defense, we here at this forum often see a lot of "repeats" when it comes to the causes of secession and the denial of slavery as a primary cause of secession and the war. But again, perhaps you have evidence to refresh these other causes. Present them with your citations and sources and let's see if there is anything new with what you have as supporting your views.

Won’t earn you my respect, either. The only things it serves to do is mentally peg you as a man that argues for the sake of arguing, because you like the feeling of proving somebody wrong.

Let us all hope here at this forum is that we remain open minded and a bit more tolerant to the idea that not all are going to have the same outlook as one another. Open, civil, debate is the key to understanding and that does not entail agreeing.

What’s true for you is true for you, and I won’t stop you from believing what you want to believe.

Disagreement does not mean a denial of belief.

I’m going to maintain my point of view, regardless,

That's too bad, as I have changed my opinion of certain aspects of the causes of the war since I first started posting here. Change is the only constant in our lives. One should be open to the possibility of change, or what's the sense of posting here at all on an open forum on the topic of the Civil War?

because a single document and a list of points that somehow prove me wrong isn’t going to invalidate my own observations and cognitions, or letters and firsthand accounts from residents and soldiers of the time period, or historical data from books that did have citations and footnotes. I trust my own research and observations.

Question: What number of documents would prove you wrong or invalidate your own observations?

And I understand the viewpoint of trusting one's own research and observations, but are you willing to share those citations and footnotes with us here so that we can make up our own minds on their worth?

Good day, sir.

And a good day to you also.
Sincerely,
Unionblue

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!