What was the deadliest job in the Civil War?

If you make a claim then you are far more credible if you can show sources.For example it took me maybe 5 seconds to go on to historynet.com/gettysburg-casualties this site does not cover all battle but it does give a nice side by side comparison of 5 major battles.
1. Spotsylvania Court House percentage of Union casualites on the offensive is 22.17% vs Lee on the defensive 18%
2.Antietam Union on the defense 16.48% casualties vs Lee on the offense 26.47%
3. Chancelorville Union of the offense 12.91% casualties vs Lee on the defense 21.06% casualties
4. Gettysburg Union on the defense 28.01% casualties vs Lee on the offense 37.42% casualties.

Leftyhunter

This is confusing. They are listing Union on the defense at Antietam?

Just for the records, many heavy artillery regiments were acting as infantry in 64/65 and used in attacks that provided for the heavy casualties. This infantry use also included the 1st MA Heavy Artillery.
True thats why I added the caveat
This is confusing. They are listing Union on the defense at Antietam?
I said Union on the defense. The Union Army was defending Union territory from a Confederate offensive.
Leftyhuner

"I said Union on the defense. The Union Army was defending Union territory from a Confederate offensive.
Leftyhuner"

Well, that is just misleading. The whole story of the Battle of Antietam is that of Union forces assaulting well-prepared Confederate positions, and the Rebels successfully repelling those assaults.

Anyway, we are getting way off subject.

There seems to be agreement that the two worst jobs in the CW armed forces were infantry color bearer and Confederate submariner.

Last edited:
My first informal opinion would be the regimental color bearers. The colors were the symbol of pride for those fighting under it. The flag was usually in front and center. It was used as a rallying point for those following. It was considered quite a feat if the regimental colors opposing you could be captured.

My second guess would be officers, especially those leading infantry from their horse.

I've read that the Civil War was unique among American wars in that generals had a higher death rate than privates - can anyone confirm or correct?
Off topic a bit, but in WWI line officers had a much higher casualty rate than enlisted men. Lieutenants and captains especially.

Putting aside Submariners, Junior officers and battery horses, I think this says it all.

Don_Troiani.jpg

Back