1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

What was the Confederate government's biggest blunder during the war ?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by gem, Jun 10, 2017.

1. gem

gem Sergeant Major

What was the Confederate governments biggest blunder during the war ?

JohnW. likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Copperhead-mi

Copperhead-mi 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

No doubt, to fire on Fort Sumter

4. John Winn

John Winn Captain

Since you say "during the war" I guess I can't just say 'secession.' Gee, there are so many to choose from I can't really pick just one so I'll cheat and provide a short list off the top of my head:

holding cotton to try and force Europe to pay more;
    not having a military person in overall command (i.e. not Jeff Davis);
    not paying as much attention to the western theater as to the eastern one;
    not somehow structuring the government so as to require all the states to cooperate (i.e. not letting some hold out on supplies and such);
    essentially ignoring the importance of the railroads and not nationalizing them;
    invading Kentucky;
    threatening to kill USC troops thus ending the prisoner exchange.

I could probably come up with a few more if I tried to convince some of my lost memory cells to fire up. Ain't that enough though ?

PeterT, JohnW., damYankee and 8 others like this.
  5. Jimklag

Jimklag Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Agree 100%. In second place was their lack of emphasis on western theater.

6. Copperhead-mi

Copperhead-mi 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Yes, I missed the key word "during." Bearing that in mind I would now have to say the Confederate government's decision to send over the author of The Fugitive Slave Law, a slave owning fire-eater, and a diplomatic imbecile to represent the Confederacy and negotiate recognition.

7. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Lt. Colonel

The 1862 Conscription Act seemed to hurt more then help. Confederate Counterinsurgency appears to also hurt the Confederacy. Unionist insurgency increased throughout the war.
    Intimidating voters didn't help in the long term in increasing popular support for the Confederacy.
    Not thinking things through.
    Confederate leaders should of anticipated that the Union would copy the British policy in the Revolutionary War of freedom in exchange for military service.
    Has mentioned grossly overestimating the importance of"King Cotton". Inability to think that cotton could be grown elsewhere, indeed it was and how.
    Leftyhunter

PeterT, Waterloo50, War Horse and 2 others like this.
  8. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Lt. Colonel

In defense of Davis, did Davis have enough men to properly cover both theater's? Davis admitted ge did not have enough manpower to protect the crucial ports. Not only is the Confederacy outnumbered they have a very difficult job countering desertions and internal insurgencies which also drains manpower.
    Leftyhunter

Waterloo50, War Horse and gem like this.
  9. BrianB

BrianB Private

(1) Jefferson Davis as president.

(2) the invasion of KY by Polk and Pillow.

(3) Failure to defend the Cumberland/Tennessee River approach adequately, resulting in Fort Henry/Fort Donelson.

(4) The divided command structure in the Vicksburg area in 1863, with Davis giving order, Joe Johnston, and Pemberton dividing command east of the river, with a separate command west of the river.

(5) Braxton Bragg.

(6) The failure to exploit the victory at First Manassas aggressively.

(7) Davis' insistence that Lee defend Richmond, which tied the Army of Northern Virginia to a positional war (and ultimately led to the siege of Petersburg).

(8) Kirby Smith's decision to divide his forces after Pleasant Hill/Mansfield, leaving Dick Taylor with too few troops to deliver a knockout blow to Nathaniel Banks.

I think it can be reasonably said that both sides had dozens of missed opportunities that might have had dramatic impacts upon history if exploited.

PeterT, Joshism, leftyhunter and 2 others like this.
  10. gem

gem Sergeant Major

Jeff Davis, big mistake. He was in way over his head.

WJC likes this.
  11. Jimklag

Yeah. You're right. But with the east in Lee's capable hands I think the rest of the CSA military hierarchy could have given more of their time to the west. It's where they were getting whipped, after all.

War Horse and John Winn like this.
  12. jackt62

jackt62 Sergeant Major

Lots of blunders, but one that comes to mind is the failure to establish a unitary command system until Lee's appointment (too late!) in March 1865.

PeterT, Joshism, Jamieva and 2 others like this.
  13. civilken

civilken 2nd Lieutenant

for the South it was their embargo on their cotton it hurt them and made more enemies in England then friends.

JeffBrooks, WJC, Joshism and 5 others like this.
  14. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Lt. Colonel

To be fair to Davis he did ( per Coopers excellent biography " Jefferson Davis American") twice personally make field trips to talk to Braggs subordinates to figure why the couldn't work as well oiled machine.
    Some events are simply outside of Davis's control. The Confederates outnumbered the Union at Pea Ridge and Praririe Grove and still lost. Is it Davis's fault for other key loss's such as New Orleans or Ft. Henry or Donaldson?
    The Western Theatre included large Unionist areas and most certainly not all Unionist troops were recruited from the West. Some Confederate troops were tied
    down in counterinsurgency.
    Could Davis of prevented the disaster at Missionary Ridge?
    Not that I have the answers it's just that Davis had to juggle a lot of chainsaws.
    Leftyhunter

gem likes this.
  15. Jimklag

Davis did make those two trips to Bragg's. HQ. He made the wrong decision but that's beside the point. There just seems to be a lack of attention paid to the western theater. Maybe I'm all wet.

16. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Lt. Colonel

No not all wet just pointing out that Davis did pay attention to the Western Theatre.
    I think of it like this : unlike the American Continental Congress the Confederacy has no foreign military support other then some British privateers.
    Not that I am a big Davis fan but he has to juggle chainsaws .
    My argument is that the Confederacy had so many inherent weakness that no one man or even one group of wise men could of won the war. Davis and his cabinet were composed of well educated experinced men who tried their best but leadership is not everything.
    A nation or secessionist movement needs a lots of factors to perfectly align themselves.
    Others of course may disagree.
    Leftyhunter

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  17. Jimklag

Just a little damp.

leftyhunter likes this.
  18. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Lt. Colonel

In defense of Davis juggling chainsaws is not easy. Has others have noted Davis had way to many problems for even a genius to overcome.
    Leftyhunter

gem likes this.
  19. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

Ok, I'll say it. Davis allowed Lee to be to aggressive in the east and in the west (Davis) allowed Bragg to command. A one, two that couldn't be absorbed. Therefore, my answer is Jefferson Davis :smile:

Burning Billy, PeterT, JohnW. and 2 others like this.
  20. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Lt. Colonel

Believing the guy who wrote " one Johnny Reb can beat 10 Yankees."
    Leftyhunter

21. wausaubob

wausaubob 2nd Lieutenant

The Confederacy was not in a position to absolute non-negotiable political positions.
    To be prudent, it would have kept the lines of communication open and been very creative in its bargaining options.

JohnW. likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)