What was the Best South Carolina Brigade in the ANV?

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
There were three true South Carolina brigades in the Army of Northern Virginia: the Bonham-Kershaw-Kennedy brigade, the Jenkins-Bratton brigade, and the Gregg-MacGowan brigade.

Kershaw's brigade did a great deal of hard fighting throughout its career. They fought in the Peach Orchard at Gettysburg, taking severe casualties. At my favorite battle, Chickamauga, they made several bloody assaults upon the Union positions on Horseshoe Ridge.

While Jenkins' brigade missed the battles at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, they were a fine brigade with one of the best brigadiers of the war.

Samuel MacGowan has been described as one of the best brigade commanders of the ANV; while I don't dispute this, I'd like to know of some more specific examples of his good leadership.

There were three true South Carolina brigades in the Army of Northern Virginia: the Bonham-Kershaw-Kennedy brigade, the Jenkins-Bratton brigade, and the Gregg-MacGowan brigade.

Kershaw's brigade did a great deal of hard fighting throughout its career. They fought in the Peach Orchard at Gettysburg, taking severe casualties. At my favorite battle, Chickamauga, they made several bloody assaults upon the Union positions on Horseshoe Ridge.

While Jenkins' brigade missed the battles at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, they were a fine brigade with one of the best brigadiers of the war.

Samuel MacGowan has been described as one of the best brigade commanders of the ANV; while I don't dispute this, I'd like to know of some more specific examples of his good leadership.
Kershaw hands down takes first place amoung the South Carolina Brigades. The brigade was everywhere. Its units fought under Bonham at 1st Bull Run; under Kershaw from the Peninsulla campaign on; Fought at Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, the Overland Campaign, and at Cedar Creek.

Dickert, D. Augustus. History of Kershaw's Brigade: With Complete Roll of Companies, Biographical Sketches, Incidents, Anecdotes, Etc. Newberry, S.C.: E.H. Aull Company, 1899. Link

Back