What was the Best Georgia Brigade in the ANV?

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
There were eight Georgia brigades in the Army of Northern Virginia:
-Semmes-Bryan brigade
-William T. Wofford's brigade
-George T. "Tige" Anderson's brigade
-the Toombs-Benning-Du Bose brigade
-the Lawton-Gordon-Evans brigade
-the Doles-Cook brigade
-"Rans" Wright's brigade
-Ed Thomas' brigade
-Alfred Colquitt's brigade
Which one was the best of the bunch?

As I have family in Gordon's brigade, I'm a bit biased, so I'll stay out of this debate.

EDIT: Colquitt's brigade added.

Last edited:
-Semmes-Bryan brigade
-the Doles-Cook brigade
-"Rans" Wright's brigade
-Ed Thomas' brigade

As I have family in Gordon's brigade, I'm a bit biased, so I'll stay out of this debate.
Like you, I might be a bit biased. My ancestor was also in the Lawton/Evans/Gordon Brigade, 26th Georgia.

But for a bit of clarification, when you refer to "the best", do you mean the commanders, the troops themselves or the overall effectiveness of the brigades?

Like you, I might be a bit biased. My ancestor was also in the Lawton/Evans/Gordon Brigade, 26th Georgia.

But for a bit of clarification, when you refer to "the best", do you mean the commanders, the troops themselves or the overall effectiveness of the brigades?
I'm using the same criteria as my threads for the Alabama and Mississippi brigades, that being: which brigade was most effective overall in combat?

I would say that the Cobb/Wofford Brigade was the best. But I am like others a little biased. My great grandfather served with the 24th Ga. I am also a member of the TRR Cobb SCV Camp
Unfortunately, once Wm T Wofford took command of the brigade, he either never filed an after-action report, or else they were lost. As a result, I think Wofford's brigade has been under-studied and a lot of what the brigade accomplished has gone unrecognized. Course, I'm probably a little biased too. :D

Last edited:
Was Colquitt's brigade part of the NVA for much of the war?

They served well from the Seven Days to Antietam where Colonel Alfred Colquitt was virtually the only field officer who came out of that fight unscathed. After Chancellorsville, there was some question about Colquitt's abilities and his brigade was traded for Junius Daniel's North Carolina brigade in North Carolina/South Carolina. The brigade would return to the AoNV in the summer of 1864 afand so missed the meatgrinders of Gettysburg and the Overland Campaign.

That said, they fought very well at Antietam, suffering devastating casualties.

Ryan

Unfortunately, once Wm T Wofford took command of the brigade, he either never filed an after-action report, or else they were lost. As a result, I think Wofford's brigade has been under-studied and a lot of what the brigade accomplished has gone unrecognized. Course, I'm probably a little biased too. :D

true Laura, but your book will fill in a LOT of those blanks.

Last edited:
-Semmes-Bryan brigade
-the Doles-Cook brigade
-"Rans" Wright's brigade
-Ed Thomas' brigade

Hard choice, but have to go with Gordon's Brigade. No brigade had such a brilliant succession of commanders, no brigade competes in terms of combat prowess; Combat from Seven Days to Second Manassas to Antietam to Fredericksburg to Salem Church; the brigade unhinged the Federal line at Barlow's Knoll on Day 1 of Gettysburg; the brigade fought with gusto at the Wilderness, and took part in Gordon's flank attack the 6th of May; the brigade plugged Upton's attack the 10th of May and helped seal the Mule Shoe breach on the 12th at Spotsylvania; actions throughout the Valley Campaign from the Monocacy to Third Winchester to Fisher Hill and Cedar Creek; and fought admirably around Petersburg and the Appomattox Campaign. It's 3 commanders were some of the finest in the confederacy; Lawton later became Quatermaster General; Gordon is a legend in himself, possibly the most charismatic commander to ever fight under Lee, if not the best. And Clement Evans was a brilliant brigade commander, certainly a bright star.
Personally I put Tige Anderson's Brigade in 2nd place, and Wofford's in 3rd.
Also, should have listed Colquitt's brigade.

Was Colquitt's brigade part of the NVA for much of the war?
Yes, from Seven Pines to Chancellorsville. Then sent away due to commander drama; rejoined with Hoke's division at Cold Harbor, before leaving again with Hoke's division to the Carolinas. I think its still significant enough to count.

I would say that the Cobb/Wofford Brigade was the best. But I am like others a little biased. My great grandfather served with the 24th Ga. I am also a member of the TRR Cobb SCV Camp
Wofford's brigade was one of the finest outfits in the army. I'd put him as my 2nd place pick if I did not have a fondness for Tige Anderson's boys.

I am an ancestor of a corporal in the 61st Georgia Regiment in the Lawton-Evans-Gordon brigade. I am trying to learn more about the regiment. I have this book, but it is confusing and horribly written:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1477512225/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

I am looking for a better source. Does anyone have a suggestion? Any good after action reports?

It seems the regiment really took a lot of fire at Antietam. My ancestor served in the regiment until he was shot through the thigh at the Third battle of Winchester. He then spent the rest of the war as a guest of the federal government at the prison at Point Lookout Maryland.

Does anyone know how heavily Tige Anderson and his brigade were engaged at Antietam? The other brigades in Jones' division were heavily engaged, certainly Toombs', but most sources I've been able to find suggest they were only lightly engaged, when it's mentioned at all.

@Luke Freet

Does anyone know how heavily Tige Anderson and his brigade were engaged at Antietam? The other brigades in Jones' division were heavily engaged, certainly Toombs', but most sources I've been able to find suggest they were only lightly engaged, when it's mentioned at all.

@Luke Freet
Compared to the units that were deployed around them, they were only moderately engaged. They helped to stabilize the line when McLaws' Division was pushed back by elements of the Twelfth Corps around the Dunker Church and their supporting First and Second Corps comrades. Then, Anderson was shifted to the right after Richardson's Division broke through at the Sunken Road.

Ryan

Back