What was the Best Alabama Brigade in the ANV?

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
The Army of Northern Virginia had three Alabama brigades: the Law-Perry brigade, the Wilcox-Perrin-Sanders brigade, and the Rodes-Battle brigade. Law's brigade won fame at the Devil's Den and numerous other battles, while Wilcox's helped recapture the Bloody Angle.

My previous thread on the ANV's Mississippi brigades seemed to interest some, so I thought another one could be in order.

Last edited:
The Army of Northern Virginia had three Alabama brigades: the Law-Perry brigade, the Wilcox-Perrin-Sanders brigade, and the Rodes-O'Neal-Battle brigade. Law's brigade won fame at the Devil's Den and numerous other battles, while Wilcox's helped recapture the Bloody Angle.

My previous thread on the ANV's Mississippi brigades seemed to interest some, so I thought another one could be in order.

Rodes-O'Neal-Battle Brigade

I offer the record of Rodes' Alabama Brigade with a few highlights from the various actions:

Took part in the following battles:

Farr’s Cross Roads- 7/17/61 - fought a delaying action on the Braddock Road as General McDowall's troops advanced towards Manassas
1st Manassas- 7/21/61
Williamsburg - 5/5/62
Seven Pines - 5/31-6/1/62 - frontal attack on Casey's Redoubt capturing the guns
Mechanicsville – 6/26/62
Gaines' Mill - 6/27/62 - frontal attack on the guns of the U.S. Regulars at the McGhee House capturing the guns
Malvern Hill - 7/1/62 - frontal attack on the guns of Malvern Hill. Pinned down between the lines for several hours. Union soldier noted the next morning "Near the crest, a row of bodies marked the final failure of the repeated assaults."
Boonsboro - 9/14/62 -fought in the delaying action at Turner's Gap against three Union Divisions
Sharpsburg - 9/17/62 -positioned in the center of the "Sunken Road" aka "Bloody Lane"
Fredericksburg - 12/13/62
Chancellorsville - 5/1-4/63 -led Jackson's march around the Union army - charged the Union XI Corps on May 2nd - first Confederate regiment to capture the Union guns on Fairview Heights on May 3rd (by frontal assault!)
Gettysburg - 7/1-3/63 -July 1st fought on Oak Hill - participated in rout of the Federals through the town
Manassas Gap - 7/23/63
Bristoe Campaign - Oct 1863
Mine Run Campaign - Nov-Dec 1863
The Wilderness - 5/5-6/64
Spotsylvania Court House - 5/8-21/64 -May 8th, routed Crawford's 3rd Div. of V Corps at Laurel Hill - May 10th, repulsed Upton's breach of the Confederate line - May 12th, were at the center of the line in the repulse at the "Bloody Angle" - May 19th, fought at Harris Farm
North Anna - 5/23-26/64
Bethesda Church – 5/30/64 - overran Crawford's Division once again
Cold Harbor - 6/1-3/64 -launched an attack on the Federal Corps of General Burnside and General Warren which held the right of the Union line, capturing three lines of works.
Lynchburg Campaign - June 1864
Monocacy - 7/9/64
Fort Stevens – 7/12/64- advanced on Fort Stevens farther than any other Confederate regiment
Cool Springs – 7/18/64
3rd Winchester - 9/19/64 -led the Confederate counterattack advancing into the gap between the Union VI and XIX Corps routing those troops
Fisher's Hill - 9/22/64 - held the extreme left of the Confederate line took brunt of initial Federal attack- Alabama Brigade was the only Confederate unit to come off intact after the Federal rout
Cedar Creek - 10/19/64 -overran the camps of the VIII Corps - took guns of 5th Maine Artillery by frontal attack - in less than ten minutes, routed Warner's Brigade at the Middletown Cemetery - captured 18 Federal guns that day - only Confederate unit to come off intact after Sheridan's counterattack
Petersburg Siege - from Dec 1864 -April 1865
Fort Stedman - 3/25/65-were amongst the troops that captured the Fort before the Union counterattack
Petersburg – 4/3/65 - fought from traverse to traverse at Fort Mahone ("Fort Hell")-
Appomattox Court House - 4/9/65 - advanced with General Gordon in the final assault of the ANV

Back