What was done with deserters that crossed the line?

I also read an account in a contemporary Nashville paper of a Union POW who was taken off a train a slated for execution because he had deserted the CS army.

The Union cavalry in Arkansas forcibly conscripted a number of Rebel deserters, some of who later deserted the Union service. Too many of them to just shoot them.

Lee had an interesting way of dealing with regiments that were giving up too many men crossing the lines. At Petersburg he posted them opposite USCT regiments. Their war cry was, “Fort Pillow, No Quarter, No Quarter!” There was also the social humiliation of being captured by colored soldiers.

Messages were sent across the line announcing where it would be safe to over. Making it easy to come into Union lines, “swallow the dog” [sign an oath] & be sent home was both humane & enlightened self interest.
I would like to see some sources to base this claim on….

I would like to see some sources to base this claim on….

I don’t make things up. The literature about the high rate of A of N VA desertions from North Carolina regiments would fill a book case. It will be child’s play to research that topic.

Lee even detached regiments from the A of N VA to NC in an attempt to force men back into the ranks. Wounded who were evaced back home ran off in droves.

As I say, there is a comprehensive body of works available online & to purchase on this subject.

Note: My CW cousin was a survivor of the 82% loss of the 23rd NC at Gettysburg. He is one of the Immortal 600, as well.

I don’t make things up. The literature about the high rate of A of N VA desertions from North Carolina regiments would fill a book case. It will be child’s play to research that topic.

Lee even detached regiments from the A of N VA to NC in an attempt to force men back into the ranks. Wounded who were evaced back home ran off in droves.

As I say, there is a comprehensive body of works available online & to purchase on this subject.

Note: My CW cousin was a survivor of the 82% loss of the 23rd NC at Gettysburg. He is one of the Immortal 600, as well.
This might be a misunderstanding in two ways:
1. I never claimed that you are making things up.
2. I didn’t referr to desertion rates.

You stated that General Lee put regiments with high desertion intentionally against USCT-troops - and I asked for more information (and maybe a source) for this claim.

This might be a misunderstanding in two ways:
1. I never claimed that you are making things up.
2. I didn’t referr to desertion rates.

You stated that General Lee put regiments with high desertion intentionally against USCT-troops - and I asked for more information (and maybe a source) for this claim.

That is more information. The high desertion rate among NC regiments was a major problem for Lee. When men were evaced to NC they ran off in droves.

Gov Vance ordered a vicious, indeed murderous, home guard campaign into the western mountains. That shooting war extended well past the end of the war.

Another one of the measures Lee authorized was authorizing file closers to shoot men who fell out.

The positioning of regiments across from USCT’s was not some isolated event. It was one element of Lee’s response to an existential threat.

I did a pretty deep dive into NC’s Civil War became of family participation some time ago. I did a talk on the subject of A of N VA attempts to stem the high rate of desertions… I will try to dig that stuff out this weekend.

I did a pretty deep dive into NC’s Civil War became of family participation some time ago. I did a talk on the subject of A of N VA attempts to stem the high rate of desertions… I will try to dig that stuff out this weekend.
Thank you, I am highly interested and very expectant .

What did both sides do with deserters who entered their lines? These really were not prisoners in the normal sense. They often were a good source of information about the enemy. Sending them off to a prisoner of war camp would discourage future deserters from entering your line. Still I am not sure they could simply be allowed to wander about. If they were considered prisoners were they exchanged back to the enemy? Keeping them around would require feeding and clothing them so probably something had to be done with them.
In 1864 the occupying Union Army in Tennessee actively recruited Confederate deserters to form Mounted Infantry regiments. By then organized Confederate resistance especially in East Tennessee was minimum at best. In the upper part of East Tennessee where I'm from, the 3rd MTD Infantry was formed. One of their members was the father of my maternal great-grandmother. He was paroled at Vicksburg while a member of the 3rd Maryland Light Artillery. More to the south toward Chattanooga the 6th MTD Infantry was formed. One of their numbers was a 1st cousin 3 times removed who had deserted the Rebel 35th TN. They fought deserters and outlaw bands made up of men from both sides. There was also a Union Tennessee 7th MTD Infantry.

My GG Grandpa was in the 50th GA. Wounded and Captured at Cedar Creek Virginia, 1864, I read what kept him alive at Point Lookout MD, was a union cook who had deserted and knew him, would sneak extra food to him.

Back