1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

History What today's cooks can learn from tenement life

Discussion in 'Foods of the Civil War' started by Anna Elizabeth Henry, Mar 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Anna Elizabeth Henry Sergeant Major Silver Patron

Found the most fascinating article yesterday in the NY Post about the history of meals in NYC tenements. I've scanned the article below directly from the newspaper as their website didn't provide the photograph and accompanying explanation of the items. I thought folks who enjoy the Food Forum would find this fascinating given how unpalatable the typical tenement diet sounded. Also, there's mention of jelly rolls in the article, too. For those who visit NYC, I highly recommend a visit to the Tenement Museum downtown. It's very educational and eye opening and often overlooked by tourists. I'm tempted to revisit on one of the Kitchen Tour dates since you can sample the food

Frugal gourment.jpg

nitrofd, alan polk, donna and 2 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Great article. Thanks for posting.

Anna Elizabeth Henry likes this.
  4. nitrofd

nitrofd Major Forum Host

Interesting article,someimes yu have to realize that in a lot of cases down or so people would live in one.

Anna Elizabeth Henry likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)