What to Make of "First Hand Reports"

I mention once before that I am researching the side wheel steamer USS Susquehanna (1850 - 1886). I have a question to the professional researchers out there as what to make of conflicting reports.
The USS Susquehanna was sent to Hampton Roads on March 29, 1862 to help counter the threat of the CSS Virginia at that time. According to the book "Circle of Fire" by Peter Barratt, the CSS Virginiaat that time, only came to the mouth of the Elizabeth River twice but never seemed to attempt to engage the flotilla. It would show itself and then steam back up the river.
I found this article stating that the USS Susquehanna and the CSS Virginia had a little "Go Around". I´m kinda doubting the authenticity of the report in the posted link. I really don´t know what to make of it and I can´t find any kind of similar report to back it up. Is this just story telling ? Did it actually happen? What do you think?

http://suvcw.org/mollus/warpapers/DCv1p447.htm

Bill

If you have only two reports and they conflict, you need to try to dig up other reports and search for a commonality. If all you can find is the two conflicting reports and you have no evidence to believe one over the other, you may just have to say that "reports conflict" and write up both of them.

Most every writer of a report was covering his own butt as a first priority. You have to consider how well that writer faired in the incident or how impartial they may have been. Yes writing both reports and comparing them adds detail to your report. I have about five accounts from the battle at Sugar Creek Dec 26, 1864 here in Tennessee. The two fellows in charge Wilson and Forrest, saw completely different events when in comparison. The various Union regimental reports, however, side with Forrest. Bingo.

First hand reports are great in some aspects, but in others they are like witness statements at a crime scene in which everyone sees the events in a slightly different way...As Larry stated most will try to put the writer in the best light, so you have to sort of average out differnet reports and pick out the details they have in common as those are the facts that are most likely to be true...

Conflicting reports are quite common, especially from secondary sources. If you plan to publish, neither report works. Primary sources, backed up by another, hopefully two, primary sources should be available. Does the book or magazine article have footnotes or an appendix in which sources are listed? Somewhere there must be eyewitness reports that should clear up the issue. The article appears to be from a talk by the ship's master to a professional group. This should carry some weight over an undocumented book. Their must be ship's logs, ORs etc that should back up the accounts.

If you are simply researching for your own pleasure, Write up both versions with a note highlighting the differences so that you can goo back and settle the matter at a future date.

Navy O.R.-- Series II--Volume 1
Statistical Data Of Ships.
United States Vessels. "N"-"S"
U. S. S. SUSQUEHANNA.
Acquisition.--Hull built by Government at Philadelphia Navy Yard, Pa., where she was launched, in 1850; machinery by Vulcan Works, Baltimore, Md.
Cost.--$697,212.
Description.--
Class: Side-wheel steamer; 1st-class sloop; wood.
Rate, rig, etc.: lst; bark.
Tonnage.--2,450.
Dimensions.--Length, 257'; beam, 45'; depth, 26'.
Draft.--Loaded, 20' 6"; light, 18'.
Speed.--Maximum, 12.5 knots; average, 8 knots.
Engines.--Inclined.
Battery.--June 8, 1863, 2 150-pdr. Parrott rifles, 12 IX-inch Dahlgren S. B., 1 12-pdr. rifle; August 4, 1864, add to the preceding 1 12-pdr. rifle; January 13, 1865, 2 100-pdr. Parrott rifles, 12 IX-inch Dahlgren S. B.; March 31, 1865, similar to that of August 4, 1864; December 31, 1865, 2 XI-inch Dahlgren S. B., 12 IX-inch Dahlgren S. B., 1 30-pdr. Parrott rifle, 2 12-pdr. rifles.
Disposition.--Sold September 27, 1883, to E. Stannard, Westbrook, Conn., for $13,143.
Remarks..--Commissioned, August 17, 1860, at New York Navy Yard; re-commissioned, July 20, 1864. Total cost of building, including repairs to end of fiscal year 1853, was $749,379.66.

Navy O.R.-- Series I--Volume 7 [S# 7]
North Atlantic Blockading Squadron.
From March 8 To September 4, 1862. pp. 250-307
eport of Flag-Officer Goldsborough, U. S. Navy, of arrival of U. S. S. Susquehanna at, and departure of U.S. S. Penobscot from, Hampton Roads.
U.S. FLAGSHIP MINNESOTA,
Hampton Roads, Virginia, May 2, 1862.
SIR: I have the honor to report that the U. S. S. Susquehanna arrived here last evening from Port Royal. To-day, at meridian, the U. S. S. Penobscot left this place for Wilmington, N. C., touching at Beaufort.

I beg to acknowledge the receipt of the following communications from the Navy Department: Those dated April 30, relating to the enlisting of contrabands for the purpose of obtaining acclimated labor during the hot season, and concerning the transfer of L. F. Robinson, seaman, to this squadron; also that dated May 1, informing me that 140 men are to be sent here from Boston to supply vacancies.
I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
L. M. GOLDSBOROUGH,
Flag-Officer, Comdg. North Atlantic Blockading Squadron.
Hon. GIDEON WELLES,
Secretary of the Navy, Washington, D.C.

Letter from the Secretary of the Navy to Flag-Officer Goldsborough, U. S. Navy, regarding additional vessels for his squadron.
NAVY DEPARTMENT, May 2, 1862.
SIR: The Port Royal and Mahaska, side-wheel steamers, will soon reach Hampton Roads. Upon the arrival of either, you will deliver the enclosed order to Lieutenant Commanding Brown, of the Octorara.
I am, respectfully, your obedient servant,
GIDEON WELLES.
Flag-Officer L. M. GOLDSBOROUGH,
Comdg. North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, Hampton Roads.

From March 8 To September 4, 1862. pp. 308-362
Abstract of the U. S. S. Dacotah.
May 7, 1862.--At 1:10 p.m. the Merrimack reported as coming down from Norfolk.
May 8.--Meridian to 3 p.m.: Steamed up abreast of Sewell's Point batteries, preceded by the Naugatuck, Monitor, Seminole, and Susquehanna. The squadron then opened fire. One of the batteries was soon silenced, but the other kept up a desultory fire. At 4:50 let go anchor. President Lincoln passed us in a steam tug. At 5:45 mustered at quarters. The Merrimack returned to her anchorage off Craney Island.
May 9.--At daylight rebel steamer Merrimack in sight off Craney Island. At 3:30 a.m. the Merrimack appeared to be steaming toward us. At 8, Merrimack in sight off Craney Island. At 10 the Monitor got underway and steamed up river. At 6:45 p.m. guns fired from Sewell's Point. Fort Wool replied with shell during the remainder of watch. Soldiers embarking at wharves. At sunset the Merrimack in sight by Craney Island.
May 10.--At daylight saw steamboats apparently landing troops at Willoughby's Point. Merrimack still retained her position. From 8 to meridian: Merrimack lying near Craney Island with steam up. Troops landing on the Virginia shore inside Fort Wool. At 6 p.m. Merrimack in sight off Craney Island. From 8 to midnight a large fire in the direction of Norfolk.
May 11.--At 3 a.m. a large fire, bearing S. ½ E., another sprang up bearing S. S. W., caused by the rebel steamer Merrimack. At 4:55 the rebel steamer Merrimack blew up. At 6:15 stood up Elizabeth River in company with U. S. S. Susquehanna, San Jacinto, Seminole, Mount Vernon, Monitor, and Naugatuck. From 8 to meridian: Passed Sewell's Point and went carefully up Elizabeth River through the obstructions. Ship scraped over a sunken wreck alongside the frigate United States. At 11 came to off naval hospital. The U. S. S. San Jacinto grounded on the obstructions; still lies upon them. From meridian to 3: San Jacinto got clear and anchored near us.

Abstract log of the U. S. S. Minnesota.
May 8, 1862.--From 4 to 8 a.m.: Rebel steamer J. B. White came down from Norfolk and was taken by General Wool. At 12:35 p.m. Susquehanna and other vessels opened fire. Battery on Sewell's Point opened fire. At 1:30 the Monitor went close in to the battery. At 2:15 the fleet began to draw off, and the Merrimack appeared coming out. The Merrimack, coming round Sewell's Point, fired a gun and made signal to ship to keep underway; slipped chain. At 4:30 the Merrimack retired.
May 9.--At 7:25 p.m. a heavy gun was fired from Sewell's Point. Returned by the Rip Raps; continued firing rapidly; no response from the enemy.
May 10.--At 10:30 p.m. a steamer from Lynn Haven Bay came alongside and reported the surrender of Norfolk to the United States forces.

May 11.--From 4 to 8 a.m.: Two fires seen in the direction of Norfolk; another seen in the direction of Craney Island. At 5:30 Lieutenant Selfridge went to reconnoiter off Sewell's Point, flag-officer having received reliable information that the enemy had blown up the Merrimack. Ordered the Seminole, Susquehanna, Dacotah, Monitor, Mount Vernon, and Naugatuck to proceed toward Sewell's Point. At 5:30 a.m. above vessels were underway. At 6 a.m. most of the fleet were around Sewell's Point.

Abstract log of the U. S. S. Susquehanna.
May 8, 1862.--At 11:45 a.m. Captain Lardner came on board from shore and we immediately got underway under steam. At 12 m. beat to quarters and cleared the ship for action and stood toward Sewell's Point, in company with San Jacinto, Dacotah, Seminole, Monitor, and E. A. Stevens. At 12:30 fired on the rebel batteries at Sewell's Point. The other vessels also commenced firing. The majority of our shot were fired from the rifle and pivot guns. The rebels fired at long intervals, and at 2 p.m. they slackened fire and about this time their flag was shot away; and the ships having obtained nearly the exact range, most of the shell exploded inside of the fort. Made signal to the fleet "Enemy's fort appears abandoned." At 3 p.m. made signal to "Follow our motions," and stood toward Fortress Monroe, the rebel steamer Merrimack steaming down from Craney Island toward us. Flagship made signal "Resume your moorings." At 4:30 Merrimack turned and stood toward Craney Island again. At 5 came to with starboard anchor in 15 fathoms water; veered to 40 fathoms chain.
-----
Report of Flag-Officer Tattnall, C. S. Navy.
RICHMOND, VA., May 14, 1862.

SIR: In detailing to you the circumstances which caused the destruction of the C. S. S. Virginia and her movements a few days previous to that event, I begin with your telegraphic dispatches to me of the 4th and 5th instant, directing me to take such a position in the James River as would entirely prevent the enemy's ascending it.

General Huger, commanding at Norfolk, on learning that I had received this order called on me and declared that its execution would oblige him to abandon immediately his forts on Craney Island and Sewell's Point and their guns to the enemy. I informed him that, as the order was imperative, I must execute it, but suggested that he should telegraph you and state the consequences. He did so; and on the 6th instant you telegraphed me to endeavor to afford protection to Norfolk as well as the James River, which replaced me in my original position. I then arranged with the general that he should notify me when his preparations for the evacuation of Norfolk were sufficiently advanced to enable me to act independently. On the 7th instant Commodore Hollins reached Norfolk with orders from you to consult with me and such officers as I might select in regard to the best disposition to be made of the Virginia under the present aspect of things.

We had arranged the conference for the next day, the 8th, but on that day, before the hour appointed, the enemy attacked the Sewell's Point battery, and I left immediately with the Virginia to defend it.

We found six of the enemy's vessels, including the ironclad steamers Monitor and Naugatuck, shelling the battery. We passed the battery and stood directly for the enemy; for the purpose of engaging him, and I thought an action certain, particularly as the Minnesota and Vanderbilt, which were anchored below Fortress Monroe, got underway and stood up to that point, apparently with the intention of joining their squadron in the roads. Before, however, we got within gunshot the enemy ceased firing and retired with all speed under the protection of the guns of the fortress, followed by the Virginia, until the shells from the Rip Raps passed over her.

The Virginia was then placed at her moorings near Sewell's Point, and I returned to Norfolk to hold the conference referred to.

It was held on the 9th, and the officers present were Colonel Anderson and Captain ----, of the Army, selected by General Huger, who was too unwell to attend himself, and, of the Navy, myself, Commodore Hollins, Captains Sterrett and Lee, Commander Richard L. Page, and Lieutenants Catesby ap R. Jones and J. Pembroke Jones.

The opinion was unanimous that the Virginia was then employed to the best advantage and that she should continue for the present to protect Norfolk, and thus afford time to remove the public property.

On the next day, at 10 o'clock a.m., we observed from the Virginia that the flag was not flying on the Sewell's Point battery and that it appeared to have been abandoned. I dispatched Lieutenant J.P. Jones, the flag-lieutenant, to Craney Island, where the Confederate flag was still flying, and he there learned that a large force of the enemy had landed on the bay shore and was marching rapidly on Norfolk; that the Sewell's Point battery was abandoned and our troops were retreating. I then dispatched the same officer to Norfolk to confer with General Huger and Captain Lee. He found the navy yard in flames, and that all its officers had left by railroad. On reaching Norfolk he found that General Huger and all the other officers of the Army had also left; that the enemy were within half a mile of the city, and that the mayor was treating for its surrender.

On returning to the ship he found that Craney Island and all the other batteries on the river had been abandoned.

It was now 7 o'clock in the evening, and this unexpected information rendered prompt measures necessary for the safety of the Virginia.

The pilots had assured me that they could take the ship, with a draft of 18 feet, to within 40 miles of Richmond.

This the chief pilot, Mr. Parrish, and his chief assistant, Mr. Wright, had asserted again and again; and on the afternoon of the 7th, in my cabin, in the presence of Commodore Hollins and Captain Sterrett, in reply to a question of mine, they both emphatically declared their ability to do so.

Confiding in these assurances, and after consulting with the first and flag lieutenants and learning that the officers generally thought it the most judicious course, I determined to lighten the ship at once and run up the river for the protection of Richmond.

All hands having been called on deck, I stated to them the condition of things, and my hope that by getting up the river before the enemy could be made aware of our design we might capture his vessels, which bad ascended it, and render efficient aid in the defense of Richmond, but that to effect this, would require all their energy in lightening the ship. They replied with three cheers and went to work at once.

The pilots were on deck and heard this address to the crew.

Being quite unwell, I had retired to bed. Between 1 and 2 o'clock in the morning the first lieutenant reported to me that after the crew had worked for five or six hours and lifted the ship so an to render her unfit for action, the pilots had declared their inability to carry 18 feet above the Jamestown, Flats, up to which point the shore on each side was occupied by the enemy.

On demanding from the chief pilot, Mr. Parrish, an explanation of tibia palpable deception, he replied that 18 feet could be carried after the prevalence of easterly winds, but that the wind for the last two days had been westerly. I had no time to lose. The ship was not in a condition for battle even with an enemy of equal force, and their force was overwhelming. I therefore determined, with the concurrence of the first and flag lieutenants, to save the crew for future service by landing them at Craney Island, the only road for retreat open to us, and to destroy the ship to prevent her falling into the hands of the enemy. I may add that, although not formally consulted, the course was approved by every commissioned officer in the ship.

There is no dissenting opinion. The ship was accordingly put on shore as near the mainland in the vicinity of Craney Island as possible, and the crew landed, She was then fired, and after burning fiercely fore and aft for upward of an hour, blew up a little before 5 on the morning of the 11th.

We marched for Suffolk, 22 miles, and reached it in the evening, and from thence came by railroad to this city.

It will be asked what motives the pilots could have had to deceive me. The only imaginable one is that they wished to avoid going into battle.

Had the ship not been lifted, so as to render her unfit for action, a desperate contest must have ensued with a force against us too great to justify much hope of success; and as battle is not their occupation, they adopted this deceitful course to avoid it. I can not imagine another motive, for I had seen no reason to distrust their good faith to the Confederacy.

My acknowledgments are due to the first lieutenant, Catesby ap R. Jones, for his untiring exertions and for the aid he rendered me in all things. The details for firing the ship and landing the crew were left to him, and everything was conducted with the most perfect order.

To the other officers of the ship generally I am also thankful for the great zeal they displayed throughout.

The Virginia no longer exists, but 300 brave and skillful officers and seamen are saved to the Confederacy.

I presume that a court of enquiry will be ordered to examine into all the circumstances I have narrated,(*) and I earnestly solicit it. Public opinion will never be put right without it.
I am, sir, with great respect, your obedient servant,
JOSIAH TATTNALL,
Flag-Officer, Commanding.

Hon. S. R. MALLORY,
Secretary of the Navy.
-----
Extract from letter from Commander W. N. W. Hewett, V. C., of H. B. M. S. Rinaldo, dated Fortress Monroe, May 10, 1862, forwarded by Vice-Admiral Sir Alexander Milne, K. C. B., on the 24th May, 1862.
May 8, 1862.--The same morning a Confederate tugboat arrived at Fortress Monroe from Norfolk, having deserted. She reported that the Confederates were prepared to evacuate Norfolk, etc., and that they had sunk the Virginia [Merrimack]. On this intelligence becoming known, at 12:30 p.m. of the same day, a Federal squadron, consisting of the Dacotah and Oneida, screw sloops of 6 guns each; the San Jacinto, screw, 11 guns; Susquehanna, paddle sloop, 15 guns; Monitor and Naugatuck, iron-cased batteries, moved up the river toward Sewell's Point and commenced shelling the Confederate battery on that point, at a very long range. This was the prelude to their intended attack on Norfolk. The Confederates returned a slow fire. I suppose their guns are not of very long range. The Federal squadron continued firing up to 2:30 p.m. without intermission. The Monitor was at this time about 1,800 yards from Sewell's Point. She was then observed to be coming back again toward the rest of the squadron, which were some 4,000 yards from the Point, and in the direction of Newport News.

The smoke of a steamer could be seen rising above the trees and moving along toward Hampton Roads from the direction of Norfolk. At 3 p.m. the Confederate iron-cased battery Virginia rounded Sewell's Point, and the whole of the Federal squadron steamed down quickly under the guns of the fortress. As the Virginia alone came within range of their guns, and those of Fort Wool on the Rip Raps, the Federal frigate Minnesota, accompanied by four large steamers, which are intended to act as rams, proceeded up the river abreast of Old Point and joined the rest of the squadron. With the exception of a few shots fired from the Rip Raps at the Virginia, the Federals made no attempt to molest her, but, on the contrary, as she approached them they steamed away from her. They left off firing at Sewell's Point immediately on sighting her coming from Norfolk. She would most likely have made her appearance before had the water been sufficiently high. The Virginia, having driven the Federal fleet away, returned and anchored under Sewell's Point, where she now remains.

continued

From March 8 To September 4, 1862. pp. 308-362
Report of Lieutenant Jeffers, U. S. Navy, commanding U. S. S. Monitor, regarding reconnoissance of the works at Sewell's Point.
U.S. IRONCLAD STEAMER MONITOR, May 9, 1862.
SIR: I have the honor to report that his Excellency the President came alongside this morning and enquired whether there would be any military impropriety in my getting underway without your previous order, to which I replied that it was necessary and proper that you should be informed in order that you might know that I had not acted without authority. He then directed me to proceed on a reconnoissance of the works at Sewell's Point, which we engaged yesterday, to ascertain whether those works had been abandoned or reenforced; not to violate your instructions relative to engaging the Merrimack; in short, to make the reconnoissance and report to him the result in the course of the day.

He proceeded to the flagship, leaving me to understand that if not forbidden by signal I was to proceed as soon as I completed coaling. I enclose my report,(*) not yet handed in.
Very respectfully,
WILLIAM N. JEFFERS,
Lieutenant, Commanding.
Commanding North Atlantic Blockading Squadron.

[Telegram.]
FORT MONROE, May 11, 1862.
Merrimack blown up by the rebels 2 minutes before 5 o'clock this morning. She was set fire to about 3 o'clock and the explosion took place at the time stated.(*) It is said to have been a grand sight by those who saw it.

The Monitor, Stevens, and the gunboats have gone up toward Norfolk.
EDWIN M. STANTON,
Secretary of War.
Hon. P. H. WATSON,
Assistant Secretary of War.
-----
Telegram.]
U.S. FLAGSHIP MINNESOTA,
Hampton Roads, May 12, 1862.
The President ordered me not to discharge the ram steamers until I could hear from Washington after he got there. The Monitor and Stevens are both up the James River at this moment with orders to go to Richmond and shell the place into a surrender. The moment that work is done I will take the ironclads to Wilmington, N. C., and reduce Fort Caswell. This was my intention before receiving your telegram. The only vessel I now have in Hampton Roads is this ship. My letter of to-day to go by the mail and reach you to-morrow will give you particulars.
L. M. GOLDSBOROUGH,
Flag-Officer.
Hon. GIDEON WELLES,
Secretary of Navy.
-------------------------------------------------
Report of Flag-Officer Goldsborough, U.S. Navy, regarding surrender of Norfolk and blowing up of C. S. S. Virginia (Merrimack).

U.S. FLAGSHIP MINNESOTA,
Hampton Roads, Virginia, May 12, 1862.
SIR: In the surrender of Norfolk by its civil authorities day before yesterday to the forces of our army under General Wool which landed at Willoughby's Point, nothing but the city itself was given up. Early yesterday morning I witnessed an awful explosion in the direction of Craney Island, and inferred immediately that either the works on that island or the Merrimack had been blown up.(*) A few minutes afterwards, an officer from the guardship Dacotah came on board and informed me that the Merrimack no longer existed, for, from the Dacotah, they had seen her blown to pieces. Supposing from this that Craney Island and all the rest of the exterior defenses of Norfolk were about to be abandoned, or, if not, that they might be subdued, I immediately ordered the Monitor, Stevens, Susquehanna, Dacotah, Seminole, San Jacinto, and Mount Vernon to get underway, and
gave them such orders as I judged necessary in the premises. Before they could get off, however, I had dispatched my aid, Lieutenant Selfridge, in a tug, to proceed off Sewell's Point and as far above it as he could get with safety, in order to ascertain the real condition of things. He landed at Sewell's Point and hoisted our flag on the works, which he found had been abandoned; but the guns were not spiked. Commander Case, captain of the fleet, went on to Craney Island in another tug, and there hauled down two rebel flags and hoisted our own in their places. Our ships proceeded on to Norfolk unmolested, and there the Susquehanna, Seminole, Dacotah, and San Jacinto now lie, immediately off the town and in close proximity to it.

The Monitor and Stevens have both gone up the James River, with orders from me to reduce all the works of the enemy as they go along, spike all their guns, blow up all their magazines, and then get up to Richmond, all with the least possible delay, and shell the city to a surrender. With the above works reduced, I can keep our vessels supplied with coal, ordnance stores, provisions, etc., without difficulty.

I intended to have discharged to-day the Arago, Illinois, and Ericsson, but the President ordered me not to do it, until I should be written to upon the subject from Washington, and gave me his reason why he wished those vessels to be longer detained.

I accompanied the President and Secretaries Chase and Stanton yesterday to Norfolk on board the Baltimore, but I did not return with the party. In the afternoon I visited the navy yard and went all over it. It was still burning in very many places. Nearly everything is destroyed. Of the buildings, the officers' quarters alone remain intact. There are a large number of iron tanks, however, apparently in perfect condition, a good deal of mast and other timber, a number of old, and generally worthless guns, and considerable machinery of one kind or another. The dock gates are all destroyed, and the pier ends, connected with the gates, have been blown up to a partial degree, but otherwise the dock itself seems uninjured.

The President said to me verbally that he wished all the guns at the forts and dockyard to be removed to Fortress Monroe, and unless he should think proper to communicate to you otherwise, I presume that I am to have this work done.

On returning from Norfolk I left our naval forces there under the charge of Captain Lardner, an officer in whose discretion and good sense I have great confidence. I gave him full directions as to intercourse, etc., with the shore. But I shall have to go there again to-day or to-morrow, and for several days afterwards, on matters of importance.
L. M. GOLDSBOROUGH,
Flag-Officer, North Atlantic Blockading Squadron.
Hon. GIDEON WELLES,
Secretary of the Navy, Washington, D. C.
-----
From March 8 To September 4, 1862. pp. 363-399
Order of the Secretary of the Navy to Flag-Officer Goldsborough, U. S. Navy, regarding the U.S. S. Susquehanna.
NAVY DEPARTMENT, May 19, 1862.
SIR: Direct the Susquehanna to proceed to Port Royal, [S. C.], and report to Flag-Officer Du Pont for duty.
I am, respectfully, your obedient servant,
GIDEON WELLES.
Comdg. North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, Hampton Roads.
-----

continued

From March 8 To September 4, 1862. pp. 363-399
WASHINGTON, May 19, 1862.
(Received May 20, 1862.)
The written order to-day for the Susquehanna to go to Port Royal is annulled. Let her await further orders. The San Jacinto will receive orders dated to-day.
GIDEON WELLES,
Secretary of Navy.
Flag-Officer L. M. GOLDSBOROUGH.
-----
From March 8 To September 4, 1862. pp. 400-454
U.S. FLAGSHIP MINNESOTA,
Hampton Roads, Virginia, May 28, 1862.
SIR: I have the honor to inform the Department that the U.S.S. Jacob Bell arrived in the roads yesterday afternoon. I dispatched her up James River this morning.
The U. S. S. Susquehanna left for the Gulf at 9:30 a.m. to-day.
L. M. GOLDSBOROUGH,
Flag-Officer, Comdg. North Atlantic Blockading Squadron.
Hon. GIDEON WELLES,
Secretary of the Navy, Washington, D.C.
-----
From March 8 To September 4, 1862. pp. 696-750
Abstract log of the U. S. S. Susquehanna.
May 4, 1862.--Hampton Roads. From meridian to 4 p.m.: The Merrimack at anchor above Sewell's Point. At 5:10 p.m. the Merrimack steamed up Elizabeth River.
May 8.--[For log of May 8, 1862, see p. 335.]
May 11.--At 4 a.m. a large fire in Norfolk. At 5 a.m. an explosion was heard in the direction of Craney Island. Flagship signaled. At 6:10 slipped chain and got underway under steam in company with the San Jacinto, Seminole, Dacotah, Mount Vernon, and E. A. Stevens, steamers, and Monitor. Cleared ship for action. At 6:45 abreast of Sewell's Point, which was abandoned. Sent second cutter to the fort with Acting Master Churchill. At 7:30 made signals 306 and 662 and got pilot from the San Jacinto. At 7:40 Acting Master Churchill returned and reported twenty-seven guns in the fort at Sewell's Point. At 9:30 made two Confederate flags at the fort on Craney Island. At 9:50 abreast of Craney Island in line of battle. A boat went on shore from the tug ----, hauled down the flags and hoisted the American ensign. Passed pieces of a wreck supposed to be the rebel steamer Merrimack. At 10:15 brought to by piles driven to obstruct the channel. Steamed ahead strong and passed over them. The San Jacinto was stopped by them; the other vessels succeeded in passing. Passed the old hulk United States and a strong work on right bank of the river going up, also Fort Norfolk. At 11 came to off the city of Norfolk--the other vessels also anchored. Our flag flying over the customhouse and hospital.

May 17.--At 10 a.m. stood up James River in company with the Dacotah, Wachusett, Maratanza, and tug Young America. At 11:35 abreast of Day's Point battery; no flag flying on it. Made a rebel flag at the battery at Mother Tynes' Bluff. At 12 the Dacotah and Young America opened fire on the battery, which was not returned. At 12:14 p.m. ship abreast of the rebel battery commenced firing. At 12:40 disembarked marines. At 1:10 came to anchor. Soon after the marines landed from the squadron the rebel flag was hauled down at the fort and the American ensign hoisted. At 3 landing party returned.
-----
M. E. Wolf

Back