What style of tents were used at Shiloh?

I am unable to provide written proof at this time as to what style of tent was used at Shiloh but certainly suspect that Sibley and Wall tents were used. I have a video below that displays a Sibley and Wall tent that were stored at the NPS storage facility at Shiloh. I will search through additional materials and reply if I am able to secure more information.
Regards
David

I completely forgot to mention you should contact @TomP as he is a Park Ranger at
The Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center and also served at Shiloh.
He certainly is far more knowledgeable about this subject than I
Regards
David

Yes, @Ole Miss and @mofederal are correct. There were an abundance of both wall and Sibley tents in the Shiloh camps, these being the predominate style used by the army at this time. The third type of tent which saw wide-spread use was the shelter half, though this personal size tent was used during campaigns and rarely in a camp or garrison setting.

Descriptions of camps and tents reveal that the enlisted men were generally housed in the round Sibley tents while officers used the wall tents. Several year after the battle the outline of Sibley tents could still be seen in Cloud Field, the camp site of Lauman's brigade, Hurlbut's 4th division.

I have attached an image of the camp of the 57th Illinois Infantry at Corinth taken in January 1863. As you can see there is an equal mix of the wall and Sibley tents, the latter having been stockaded for winter use. This was done by mounting the tent on a circle of cut logs set on end. This raised the tent by 2 to 3 feet which greatly increased the amount of interior space. At the time of Shiloh, this regiment was assigned to Sweeny's brigade, W.H.L. Wallace's 2nd Division. At the time of the photo they were in the 3rd Brigade (Moses Bane), District of Corinth (Grenville Dodge).

57th.jpg

Back