What should school children lean about The Underground Railroad?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
As a docent at the Michigan History Museum, off and on I get Underground Railroad questions from 4th and 5th graders as they tour the Civil War gallery. There is Underground Railroad information on the walls in the Civil War gallery. Usually I use this Michigan History for Kids magazine as the basis for what I tell them. I figure I can not go wrong with using this kids magazine as a guide to how I answer their questions.
ug.jpg

Still I have to wonder if a 12 year old magazine is giving the current view of the Underground Railroad. For example if I tell them: "After President Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves, some fled from their owners to the safety of the U.S. Army." This is easy for a 4th grader to understand, but are there any problems with it?

What about the Kentucky Slave Raid of 1847 also know as The Raid at Young's Prairie? The magazine calls it an surprise attack by slavecatchers, but the locals quickly captured the slavecatchers. After the slavecatchers lost a court battle they were let out of jail and the captured blacks were released as well. So is "surprise attack" the proper term to use with young children when and if I talk about the Raid at Young's Prairie?

The magazine starts with this statement. "For the first 250 years of this country's history, slavery was legal. White people treated black people as if they were property, just like a horse or cow." Perhaps this might be accurate, but is it a bit harsh for a 4th grader.