What Reference Works do You Use?

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Not all dictionaries or encyclopediae are equal in quality or intellectual integrity. From your studies and experience, what are the best reference works to use as we learn more about the Civil War and related subjects?

So enforcing civil rights laws us oppressive? I agree with @Pat Young it is a horrible Lost Cause definition. I guess peer Merriam Webster the KK K us a benevolent white civil rights group.
Leftyhunter
by all means ignore sourced definition's and make up your own, this will be interesting down the road........

Miriam Webster's is obviously just a hack dictionary that everyone should throw away. In total agreement with you, so don't argue

by all means ignore sourced definition's and make up your own, this will be interesting down the road........

Miriam Webster's is obviously just a hack dictionary that everyone should throw away. In total agreement with you, so don't argue
Why not use the sourced definition from Britannia at encylopedia.com? Much more detailed and accurate.
Leftyhunter

Why not use the sourced definition from Britannia at encylopedia.com? Much more detailed and accurate.
Leftyhunter
Why? Webster's is a generally respected source.....if we are going to disregard sources if they don't fit ones narrative, why provide others? They can simply be disregarded too............

Miriam-Webster's has been used as a source in several other threads, if its not a credible source shouldn't we discontinue relying on it at all?

Probably really should get libraries, colleges, and schools from relying on it as well...........

Last edited:
Why? Webster's is a generally respected source.....if we are going to disregard sources if they don't fit ones narrative, why provide others? They can simply be disregarded too............

Miriam-Webster's has been used as a source in several other threads, if its not a credible source shouldn't we discontinue relying on it at all?

Probably really should get libraries, colleges, and schools from relying on it as well...........
Nothing wrong with pointing out a flaw in a source.
Leftyhunter

well evidently they didn't find it flawed, nor did a long list of institutions that have choose it as a standard apparently

But feel free to make up your own dictionary, and when its as accepted as Webster's I'll reference it too, I'm impartial when it comes to well established references.

that's like your earlier question about Brittania, I accept it up there with Webster's as credible.....However I question if one thinks it ok to disregard one.....what providing another equally accepted reference will do........when you've already established references don't matter if its inconvenient to your view..............

Last edited:
Back