What prison was William W. Mackall held in after surrendering at Island No. 10?

He was captured April 8, 1862, and exchanged August 15 of the same year. So where was he held until then? Where were most of the men captured at Island No. 10 kept?
About 1000 of those captured were sent to Camp Butler, joining what was left of about 2000 from Fort Donelson. I don't know where the rest were sent. My dad's cousin owned (his family still does) what was the parade ground of the POW camp at Camp Butler. There are 866 Confederate graves there in Camp Butler National Cemetery just east of Springfield. My second cousin and I hopped the fence several years ago (rather than walk to the entrance) and visited the Confederate section. Prisoners from Island Number 10 were likely scattered through Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio to such a degree that a majority of them could not be said to be in one place. That was the case with Fort Donelson. Fort Warren was kind of reserved for officers and higher-ups, political prisoners and the like, so Mackall was likely with officers only.

About 1000 of those captured were sent to Camp Butler, joining what was left of about 2000 from Fort Donelson. I don't know where the rest were sent. My dad's cousin owned (his family still does) what was the parade ground of the POW camp at Camp Butler. There are 866 Confederate graves there in Camp Butler National Cemetery just east of Springfield. My second cousin and I hopped the fence several years ago (rather than walk to the entrance) and visited the Confederate section. Prisoners from Island Number 10 were likely scattered through Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio to such a degree that a majority of them could not be said to be in one place. That was the case with Fort Donelson. Fort Warren was kind of reserved for officers and higher-ups, political prisoners and the like, so Mackall was likely with officers only.
Thank you

Back