NF What One Event Would Make a Great Movie?

Non-Fiction
There was a Texas Confederate (I cannot remember his name - maybe someone on the board remembers) -- while he was away during the war, his father was killed by bushwhackers. The bushwhackers made one mistake - they left a slave,who was with the father, alive. When the war ended, the Confederate soldier asked the (nor former) slave: "who killed my father? I am going to hunt them down". The ex-slave responded: "I will only tell you on one condition - I get to come with you."

The two of them then launched a quest that took a couple of years, but they hunted down each of the men responsible for his father's death....

Can anyone remember the names or more specific details?

The Civil War in Arizona and New Mexico would make a great movie. You wouldn't need a cast of thousands and you could touch on Native Americans like Cochise. Everyone likes a Western.

Closest I can think of that purports to show a southwest CW locale is in "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly."

The St. Albans Raid is, without a doubt, the best answer to this question. That would make such a great movie. Makes me wish I were a filmaker
The 1954 film "The Raid" is about it, it's starring Van Heflin, Lee Marvin, Richard Boone...
1AAAAAAAA.png
1AAAAAAAAAA.jpg 1AAAAAAA.jpg 1AAAA.jpg

There was a Texas Confederate (I cannot remember his name - maybe someone on the board remembers) -- while he was away during the war, his father was killed by bushwhackers. The bushwhackers made one mistake - they left a slave,who was with the father, alive. When the war ended, the Confederate soldier asked the (nor former) slave: "who killed my father? I am going to hunt them down". The ex-slave responded: "I will only tell you on one condition - I get to come with you."

The two of them then launched a quest that took a couple of years, but they hunted down each of the men responsible for his father's death....

Can anyone remember the names or more specific details?
Sounds like a classic western story...I'm sure to have seen a film like this..can't remember now.

The much-ignored true story of the Battle of Nashville, the ill-equipped, starving, demoralized CSA Army of Tennessee against a Union monolith: Davis's folly and Hood's debacle. It was a miracle any man in tattered butternut survived.

Just my opinion, I feel like CW battle scenes in movies are difficult to portray. I did not like the scenes from G&G, Gettysburg were decent, Glory was ok, and Free State of Jones were just ok. I think a movie would have to be about a person or event with very limited battle scenes.

Appomattox would be good with multiple character developments. And would be a good contrast to the "high confidence" Lee had from G&G and Gettysburg.

The book Freeman may be good for theater as well.

Stones River and Christmas eve night - or the slaughter at Franklin

So America would learn there was more to the war than Lee and the AONV :unsure:

It would have to be about the soldiers and the audience must 'like' them. We who study the war tend to admire, yet make fun of the movie 'Gettysburg', and its occasional blooper, but that movie reached people that had never cared about the war before. For example, at the battlefield I volunteered at, as a guide, you get used to the fact that in each family, there is one or two that are interested, usually dad and maybe a kid who just learned about it in school, and the rest of the family is bored stiff and just along for the ride. After Gettysburg came out on VHS (yep, that long ago) we saw an immediate change, which eventually receded - but for a few years - the interested party in the families suddenly was just as likely to be the wife, and the husband was the bored one. It was a fascinating change, and only lasted for a limited time, but it showed us at the battlefield the power that that movie, and the personal human stories, had/have on women. Gods and Generals forgot this and failed. IMO.

The Sinking of the Sultana would be interesting. We could follow a former P.O.W. as he is released from prison and then boards the boat home, only to have to survive the explosion

Another event would be Sherman's March. Could be interesting on the big screen - multiple character viewpoints
CSS Alabama vs USS Kearsarge. Sea battles make great film.

Back