What one book has eluded you all of these years?

KLSDAD

First Sergeant
Honored Fallen Comrade
Impossible to find, too costly, etc.

Include books that may be reprinted/paperback if you are still looking for an earlier printing.

PS Maybe Santa is listening!

Not a book but a diary - and I know where it is - I think - but way way too costly. And then it's in French and 19th century French at that. If I could afford it, I couldn't afford the translator if I could even find a translator willing and able to translate the diary of a Frenchman who somehow ended up fighting in the 51st Pennsylvania.

"Affordable" is the key element. I'm far gone enough that "affordable" has faded as a requirement... :unsure: ... the only thing that saves me is that I have selected a field with a relatively small number of books available!

Last edited:
I can remember the feeling, but since I have bought my Kindle and have access to the electronic versions of sooo many books I had never hoped to find again, I have completely forgotten how it feels to be after a book and not be able to get it.
When I was about 19 I was looking like mad for a book by John Lennon, "A spaniard in the works". English books were very hard to find anyway in Germany in 1980, and this was even out of print! But then my best friend Sabine got one copy for me while being in England. One of the best presents I ever got.

Edit: why is it that all Wikipedia links don't appear as links anymore in our posts but open Wikipedia right away? I find that most disturbing!!

Before he achieved fame at The New Yorker, humorist James Thurber wrote a parody titled "Why We Behave Like Microbe Hunters," a spoof of "Microbe Hunters" by Paul de Kruif and other early 20th century popular science books. It was never published, but I keep hoping that it may still exist somewhere among undiscovered Thurber papers and that one day it will be available, at least to read on-line if not in printed form.

The 305th Bomb Group in Action: An Anthology

Edited by noted aviation author john Craven, this book is hard to find in decent hardcover edition and expensive when found, on sale copies of hard cover versions in decent shape run from around $250 - $350!!! Have wanted one for years but $250-$350 for a book has either been out of reach or unjustifiable compared to other requirements.

John Heatwole's "The Burning' about Sheridan's Campaign in the Shenandoah Valley in 1864. I think its going for about $100 dollars on Amazon. I was fortunate to be able to read the copy belonging to the library in Strasburg VA. The Winchester library might have a copy but I never looked for it there.

I guess that also kind of begs the question: what's the most you've paid to get a book to ensure it didn't elude you?

($750.00 here... for a 'deluxe' edition of Walke's Naval Scenes and Reminiscences, which probably should not come as any great surprise...)

I can remember the feeling, but since I have bought my Kindle and have access to the electronic versions of sooo many books I had never hoped to find again, I have completely forgotten how it feels to be after a book and not be able to get it.
When I was about 19 I was looking like mad for a book by John Lennon, "A spaniard in the works". English books were very hard to find anyway in Germany in 1980, and this was even out of print! But then my best friend Sabine got one copy for me while being in England. One of the best presents I ever got.

Edit: why is it that all Wikipedia links don't appear as links anymore in our posts but open Wikipedia right away? I find that most disturbing!!
I remember reading that book many moons ago! I had forgotten all about it.

Last edited:
Back