What most started your lifelong interest in the American Civil War?

privateflemming

Corporal
I saw a discussion about whether the Civil War needs to be taught more in school for younger people to be interested in it so I decided to make this poll. I know a lot of these factors probably play a role for most people but choose the one that you think is the earliest/most fundamental reason for your interest.

Feel free to elaborate more in the comments.

Now, I did put “school” as the genesis of my obsession, but it was actually just a teacher. In Middle School, my Social Studies teacher, Charlie Barr, showed up for the Civil War lecture in full Union dress. Springfield rifle, bayonet, kepi, boots, leather accoutrements, the whole thing. I liked history, but the tangible, visible Civil War history was unlike anything I’d ever seen.

I started reading everything I could get my hands on, including anything on my hometown’s namesake, George Thomas. Been at it ever since........

Vote Here:
I was about ten years old, I can't remember which, when I watched the movie Gettysburg for the first time. We went to Gettysburg the Next day, and I got to walk, okay, climb all of the rocks on Little Roundtop, see the Pennsylvania Memorial, (which one of my ancestors names is on there by the way) and view the Wheatfield, etc.

Now about seven years later, I try to fight back tears every time I watch that movie: the musical pieces do that to you, when you watch. I must watch it at least three times a year now...weird...but cool.

I think the most heartwarming (for me) scenes in the movie are when Joshua Chamberlain and his brother find each other after Pickets Charge, and when General Lee rides past his troops before the cannonade. That last scene gets me every time.

Okay, this MANLY MAN has said too much! That movie is the only thing that will get me CLOSE to tearing up, and anything else, I'll just be a motionless rock of...un-emotional-ness???

Side note: This is why movies need to be portrayed accurately, and INTERESTINGLY! Kids would probably get into the Civil War if a GOOD movie came out that was accurate and interesting. I'm still waiting for The Last Full Measure....you don't make someone wait a gazillion years, only to have it never come out!

Vote Here:
Side note: This is why movies need to be portrayed accurately, and INTERESTINGLY! Kids would probably get into the Civil War if a GOOD movie came out that was accurate and interesting.
Kids just need to see history at its best. It’s kind of boring in history textbooks. But is it really fascinating when a Napoleon goes off 20 yards away or you look out over the hills in Perryville. History has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. My 7 year old son has walked along Marye’s Heights and played on German artillery at Belleau Wood. He thinks history is pretty cool.

Vote Here:
View attachment 317748
These maps with all the little men(so evocative of a really big set of toy soldiers) fascinated me as a kid. This is the Battle of Franklin. From the American Heritage history of the war, featured in the American Heritage magazine as well, which we subscribed to, hard cover magazines in the 60s, full of fascinating photographs and images.

It may have been the little men that really started me off in my interest in the Civil War. I still have my old copy of the American Heritage book, and sometimes I check the little men against something I have recently read about one of the famous battles.

Vote Here:
It all began in grade school. We had an extensive US history block in the 5th grade, probably 1981...Mr. H was an engaging teacher and captivated the entire class, boys AND girls alike. First was the American Revolution followed by the Civil War. After both subjects we were allowed to pair up with a classmate for the class trivia challenge. It felt like hundreds of questions. My friend Wayne and I were the champions of the Revolution, but only managed a second place finish for the Civil War. We felt like kings! I recently ran into him at our 30th HS reunion and it was the first thing we talked and laughed about.

Vote Here:
Honestly a bit of both. I was taught old school, lost cause. Straight out of the UDC's rod for measuring textbooks in the deep south. Us vs. them, righteous cause, about anything but slavery, etc. And in 5th grade took a trip to Washington DC. And learned the "other guys" were truly still Americans. I learned a lot of things right there from source history that shook what I had been taught. So I got into source history of the war and it's causes. Bypassing what people since want to say it was about and going right to the Founding Fathers of the Confederacy, and the leaders in the US at the time. So then it moved on to more reading, going to libraries and finding actual records of the times, secession convention minutes and the like. It was a blast. And really helped show me how groups would try and rewrite history.

Vote Here:
Back