What modern size equivalent were mass produced Civil War uniforms made in?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!

privateflemming

Private
Modern reenactors can obviously get them in any size, but I haven't been able to find anything specifically about the size of real Civil War uniforms. Presumably they were made to fit 5'8, 143 pound men. So that would be like a modern size 38-40? But did they ever make them in different sizes?

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
Prewar Clothing was made in a limited number of different sizes.
And it was expected that each unit would have one or more men with experience as tailors. Who could then fit it better to the man.

I remember looking into it at one point and that I would fit the largest size.
And Iam 180cm tall and 80-85kg

Iam sure someone will come along and post the actual sizes from the US army quartermaster rules.

Package4

2nd Lieutenant
Member of the Month
Modern reenactors can obviously get them in any size, but I haven't been able to find anything specifically about the size of real Civil War uniforms. Presumably they were made to fit 5'8, 143 pound men. So that would be like a modern size 38-40? But did they ever make them in different sizes?
Yes they were typically made in 4 sizes 1 through 4, at least on the Federal side. The sleeve lining, usually the armpit area would have either a number or dots to define the size. 1 being the smallest and 4 being the largest, both number and dots.

Size 3
1566754412190.png

Size 2
1566754462196.png

#1 = 32" sleeve 36" chest
#2 = 33" sleeve 38" chest
#3 = 34" sleeve 40" chest
#4 = 35" sleeve 42" chest

Last edited: