Lee What 'memoir' did General Lee write on the Revolutionary War?

Lubliner

Major
Forum Host
I was reading a committee report on Naval affairs about the loss of New Orleans, held in Richmond in September of 1862. The first witness called upon was Commander Whittle (Tues., Sept. 9) who on being questioned concerning land forts and war steamers, replied;

"My opinion is that war steamers can pass land batteries at any time. This had been our experience in the Revolutionary War, and it is the opinion of General Lee, as expressed in his memoirs of the Southern campaign."

I was unaware of any manuscript ever published by General Lee, and was thinking it may be a West Point paper he wrote upon graduation? If so, the likelihood of it not being published is next to nothing. Has anyone else heard of this 'memoir' or is Commander Whittle referring to 'Lighthorse' Harry Lee?
Thanks,:lee:.
Lubliner.

Interesting nugget. I had the same thought as you — he must have been referring to General Lighthorse Harry Lee who was active in the RW Southern Campaign. I was intrigued and followed the lead. Sure enough, not only did the senior Gen. Lee publish his memoirs on the Southern campaign, it is also available online: https://archive.org/stream/memoirsofwarin02leeh#page/n11/mode/2up.

And his son edited a second version in 1869.

It's fascinating reading! Thanks for posting. He owns up to his mistakes pretty well. The Siege of Augusta has some very interesting incidents...well worth the read.

Last edited:
Interesting nugget. I had the same thought as you — he must have been referring to General Lighthorse Harry Lee who was active in the RW Southern Campaign. I was intrigued and followed the lead. Sure enough, not only did the senior Gen. Lee publish his memoirs on the Southern campaign, it is also available online: https://archive.org/stream/memoirsofwarin02leeh#page/n11/mode/2up.

And his son edited a second version in 1869.
Thank you, @gjpratt. I had a considerable mystery I wasn't sure how to follow. Temporary blindness.
Lubliner.

The older Lee's memoirs are a good book indeed. If I remember correctly my version of it has an introduction by Robert E. Lee.

EDIT: Just checked it and I got that somewhat wrong. The 3rd Edition, a single-volume version from 1869, has no introduction by Robert E. Lee but instead is edited by him.

Last edited:
The older Lee's memoirs are a good book indeed. If I remember correctly my version of it has an introduction by Robert E. Lee.
I have 'an intimate biography' of R. E. Lee written by Fitzhugh Lee, in paperback; a Premier Civil War Classic with an introduction by Philip Van Doren Stern. Price Tag 75 cents, Copyright by Fawcett Publications, 1961. About 400 pages in good condition.
Lubliner.

Back