1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

What Made You Fall In Love With Civilwartalk?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by War Horse, Sep 9, 2017.

1. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

I guess I'm feeling a bit nostalgic today. I found myself reminiscing about the beginning of my love for this site. To be honest the ladies thread "Officers we find swoon-worthy if women still-swoon" had me laughing and remembering other light hearted fun threads :smile:

I was thrilled to find a site that everyone, I mean everyone had the same affliction I did. I began to think myself a bit odd :smile: I was drawn to battlefields, couldn't sleep the night before heading to Gettysburg. I simply couldn't get enough. My friends dreaded the subject, my kids, humored me :smile:. Then while doing a google search, I ran across Civilwartalk.com. I logged in and began an incredible adventure. What I thought I knew, I did not! The people were so very knowledgeable and friendly. They were eager to share their knowledge and make valuable suggestions.

Wow, what a find, I wasn't alone. No longer did my friends and family have to endure my stories. We were all here together to share our obsession with one another.

From time to time the topic's get heavy and we tend to seem divided. It's been my experience, we are like family, we squabble but never hate!

My hat is off to you @NH Civil War Gal! A lighthearted thread is exactly what the doctor ordered.

What brought you to this site?

Frums, johan_steele, Rikken and 26 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. NH Civil War Gal

NH Civil War Gal Sergeant

Being a history lover and living in a 1774 house, that no one knew when my parents started restoring it in 1972, had been owned by a cousin in 1776 - who is buried literally across the street in the historic graveyard. Then, my father telling me about his family's experiences taking care of two civil war vets when he was in his teens (he was born in 1912), and I was left their CW gaming table! Then I bought a CW sword for $10.00 (with scabbard) in 1972 - my mother asked "what do you want with that old thing." And my niece now lives in MD and she is a history lover and one day, two or three years ago I picked up a diary of a Confederate woman, idly curious about how the war affected the south - and somehow I fell headlong in love with the CW! I'm able to get to MD about twice a year and now my niece and I go battlefield crawling. We did Antietam, South Mountain (and climbed to the top), Turners Gap, the Antietam National Cemetery and some smaller conflict stops this May. We've done what's left of the ring of forts around DC.

And I've found one war, the Revolutionary - which I'm hip deep in here, led to another! Somehow I was Googling and came upon this site and joined.

And as much as I'm a Unionist, I do agree that the Confederates had the cavalier thing down (and I ride horses) which has a certain amount of eye-candy appeal:wink:!

4. Cavalry Charger

Cavalry Charger Sergeant Major

Thanks for starting this thread @War Horse :smile: I think it's just the medicine a few of us have been needing, getting back to our roots on the site, and I put mine down not that long ago! I've shared before, it was a Captain's letter that got me interested in the CW, and that interest/intrigue has led me on an incredible journey, giving me the opportunity to meet some incredible people. What I found was a graciousness in the community here - people disagreed, but they did so gracefully, and often with a sense of humor, which inspired a confidence in me that it was a safe place to share and seek knowledge, as well as make a contribution. A sense of acceptance regardless of who you are or where you come from, plus the awesome CWT welcome, makes it a place I'm glad I found, and hope to keep coming back to ...I certainly will never be disappointed I joined :smile:

5. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

That was very well said!

6. Cavalry Charger

Thanks :smile: I've been impressed from the beginning here with the sense of camaraderie, and people really do care about one another. The site reminds me of a lighthouse - guiding ships in all kinds of weather and from all different shores. Best metaphor I can think of right now - it's been a beacon for me :smile:

7. LoriAnn

LoriAnn Captain

My short answer: Two fine Southern gentlemen and a handful of funny Brits.

Then it just snowballed from there. :happy:

8. War Horse

Are you kidding me, I love your metaphor. I'm a 100 ton licensed captain. What's not to love :smile:

9. War Horse

Lol, @Waterloo50 might be blushing right now. Southern Gentlemen are everywhere.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  10. Cavalry Charger

Haha, I didn't know that! We must be on the same 'wavelength' today :tongue:

11. Cavalry Charger

I, for one, am glad it did :smile: Not sure what the site would be like without you @LoriAnn :smile:

12. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

A Google search of "Civil War discussion forums" in July 2015 brought me here. I'm not shy. I jumped right in with what was going on with an Intro thread in the new member forum and another in the Researching Your Ancestry forum. I was kinda new to the field at the time and pretty much a loner. I was made to feel very welcome and members hooked me up with some new and useful info from the get-go. Still do too. I had no idea so much was out there.

13. dlofting

dlofting First Sergeant

I'd poked around a bit for a few years and found a couple of sites, but all the threads were long and there didn't seem to be a lot of contributors, so it was hard to break in. Civilwartalk just seemed to have the right mix of novices, middle of the road people like me and experts....so I could learn without feeling intimidated. Over time I've learned to appreciate the way this site is run. Just the right amount of moderation, with the owner stepping in only when absolutely necessary. That, plus the people here are great....and that goes for those I agree with, but particularly for those I don't agree with...great way to get a completely different point of view.

14. captaindrew

captaindrew First Sergeant

I stumbled on this site working on some family history and trying to make some civil war connections. Within a few hours I was given some great info and tips that opened the floodgates. Can't believe how much I've learned since I've been on here and how willing the experts are to help everybody with a question. I've loved history, particularly the Civil War, since I was a young boy and thought I knew a little about it till I got here. That and how well everybody gets along here for the most part. Hey @War Horse , I'm a licensed captain also, it's what I do for a living. That's where my screen name comes from, in the ranks I'm just a lowly private.

15. War Horse

That's awesome. I loved doing it for a living. Now I manage a trucking terminal. I started in the Gulf when I was a kid, moved to PA for family reasons and captained a fishing charter on the Great Lakes. Erie for the most part. Since then, I've grown found of calling the Gulf of Mexico the Pond of Mexico. Erie (even though sweetwater) is the hardest body of water I have ever navigated on. Nice to meet you, Captaindrew!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  16. Joshism

Joshism First Sergeant

Probably the eye-opening information about the Southern Declarations of Secession that I first learned of here. That bombshell is probably what really got me hooked on what I could learn here.

17. Patrick H

Patrick H Captain

I stumbled into the site by getting results on a Google search for information about a particular individual. My search was about a person in the guerrilla war in Missouri. I discovered two things immediately: First, I saw post about the person from other Missourians who appeared to be well informed. Second, I was welcomed by people who had been to a reenactment in my town. It was like finding friends immediately.

18. Jimklag

Jimklag Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

It was simple. I was looking up something on the web and about five out of six answers to my inquiry pointed to this site. I checked it out and fell in love. One of my earliest posts was answered by the inimitable Mr. @Waterloo50 and then by a certain equally inimitable Herr @Schwallanscher and they almost immediately became e-pen pals (despite the time zone differences) and smoothed my transition into CWT. A couple gals whose initials are @LoriAnn and @Eleanor Rose and a whole bunch of my fellow RTT mavens have made me feel like one of the family. Every member here with whom I've interacted is friendly and classy even when we disagree. No one enjoys being told he's wrong but it's never been done here in any but the most inoffensive way. We argue, we debate, we squabble and all that but as Sister Sledge said, We Are Family.

19. tmh10

tmh10 Major

I enjoy the people on here, though I have not been as active as I was in the past, I still check in every day a few times. I must say that I miss several of the folks that were on here a while back but now have passed on or are no longer on the site. I am still around so keep up the good work. Ted

20. captaindrew

captaindrew First Sergeant

Nice to meet you, been up and down the East Coast by boat pretty much from top to bottom but have never ventured west. Would like to see some of the Great Lakes someday. Been around charter and commercial fishing boats my whole life, my father, uncle, and older brother were/are all captains. We'll have to share some fish stories sometime.

21. SWMODave

SWMODave Corporal

I was searching Google for p0rn and typed in Hooker.

Who would have thought!!

:D

Frums, Rikken, Pat Young and 19 others like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)