Tell me more! What kind of hat?

Nurse_ee

Cadet
I have been working on identifying the men in this photo and I noticed that one of the guys has on a much different hat than the other men who are wearing kepis. My question is what kind of hat is this? Just a beanie maybe? I haven’t seen any other photos with this hat so I was just curious. The men are from the 22nd NY State Militia Company E.
2316D21A-66BA-4FA8-90A4-D36263C482EB.png

The shape and pattern is all wrong for a kepi or forage cap. I'm gonna go with some sort of camp hat from home.

But on the other hand, it's shape and pattern resembles an "eight piece" or "newspaper boy" cap on backwards, though I don't think they were around in the 1860's

:CSA1stNat:
I have a hat I bought in Ireland from Quill’s Woolen Market in 1999. It looks very much like the picture when worn backwards. I enjoy wearing it when driving my 1962 Plus 4 4 seater Morgan.

It might be a "camp" hat . There was a large variety of these and they were often knitted and were worn around camp.
I was thinking that too. I don't think these guys saw action but they sure took a lot of pictures while at camp in a relaxed state.

The shape and pattern is all wrong for a kepi or forage cap. I'm gonna go with some sort of camp hat from home.

But on the other hand, it's shape and pattern resembles an "eight piece" or "newspaper boy" cap on backwards, though I don't think they were around in the 1860's

:CSA1stNat:
Yeah it has a newspaper boy look to it but I wasn't sure they had those yet but maybe? Thanks!

I'm impressed - a Morgan! I've only seen one of those in my life - Virginia Tech, 1966.
I have been restoring it for 7 years. Just need upholstery and the a little touch up paint! They are rare. My car was made in 1962 and registration number is 5066 for all models. They started making 4 wheelers in 1936. They also make 3 wheel motorcycles. Mirgam Motors was founded in 1909 and was family owned until last year when an Italian Company bought it.
Thanks for the post!

I have been restoring it for 7 years. Just need upholstery and the a little touch up paint! They are rare. My car was made in 1962 and registration number is 5066 for all models. They started making 4 wheelers in 1936. They also make 3 wheel motorcycles. Mirgam Motors was founded in 1909 and was family owned until last year when an Italian Company bought it.
Thanks for the post!
In my opinion, one of the most beautiful of them all!

I have been working on identifying the men in this photo and I noticed that one of the guys has on a much different hat than the other men who are wearing kepis. My question is what kind of hat is this? Just a beanie maybe? I haven’t seen any other photos with this hat so I was just curious. The men are from the 22nd NY State Militia Company E. View attachment 363361

This is NOT a "kepi worn backward" nor some of the other suggestions here. It is most likely merely another of the myriad unusual and now-forgotten oddities that crop up in every period; here's a thread on other more likely possibilities:

I have been working on identifying the men in this photo and I noticed that one of the guys has on a much different hat than the other men who are wearing kepis. My question is what kind of hat is this? Just a beanie maybe? I haven’t seen any other photos with this hat so I was just curious. The men are from the 22nd NY State Militia Company E. View attachment 363361
I believe it to be, what is known as a Tam, (Tam o'shanter), which were very popular in Irish and Scottish regiments and companies, utilized as a camp hat. The picture must be of the NCO section of their camp, NCOs and officers had different areas than the enlisted. IIRC this was a series taken at Harper's Ferry?

Back