Tell me more! What kind of hat?

I believe it to be, what is known as a Tam, (Tam o'shanter), which were very popular in Irish and Scottish regiments and companies, utilized as a camp hat. The picture must be of the NCO section of their camp, NCOs and officers had different areas than the enlisted. IIRC this was a series taken at Harper's Ferry?
Sounds good to me.

I have been working on identifying the men in this photo and I noticed that one of the guys has on a much different hat than the other men who are wearing kepis. My question is what kind of hat is this? Just a beanie maybe? I haven’t seen any other photos with this hat so I was just curious. The men are from the 22nd NY State Militia Company E. View attachment 363361
This could be a good '' out of unform'' charge!

I believe it to be, what is known as a Tam, (Tam o'shanter), which were very popular in Irish and Scottish regiments and companies, utilized as a camp hat. The picture must be of the NCO section of their camp, NCOs and officers had different areas than the enlisted. IIRC this was a series taken at Harper's Ferry?

Yep it was the Harper’s Ferry pictures. I was able to identify him yesterday’s and he was the son of Irish immigrants. so the Tam makes sense. If I traced him correctly then he was also a member of one of the Irish gangs of NY 😬

thanks!

Back