Sutlers- Cheers & Jeers What is your least favorite sutler?

Cpl. Smith

Sergeant
My least favorite sutler is NJ Sekala in Gettysburg. They measured me as size 38 or 40 and that is what they sent me. Problem I'm a size 48. I returned the jacket and they screwed me out of $200.

Anyway that's my rant for the day. Any of y'all have any similar story's or just dislike a sutler.

It amazes me about sutlers. They have a niche market. It's highly specialized. It amazes me further that they abuse their customers. They should treat these customers like gold, like Golem treats tthe One Ring in Lord of the Rings. "My precious!"
I agree.

I don't reenact, but keep thinking one of these days I'll day trip to Liberty to see James Country Mercantile. Think it would interesting to see the reenacting stuff they have, and would probably end up buying least a book since they are supposed to have a lot on the border war.

Has anyone had experience with them?

Last edited:
I don't reenact, but keep thinking one of these days I'll day trip to Liberty to see James Country Mercantile. Think it would interesting to see the reenacting stuff they have, and would probably end up buying least a book since they are supposed to have a lot on the border war.

They're good people.

I have had TONS of experience with them, as they have a tent set up at a good portion of events that I go to.
I bought a Springfield rifle from them, and have been very happy with it.
Dell has good knowledge of "Period Correct" goods and is friendly and helpful!

I have had TONS of experience with them, as they have a tent set up at a good portion of events that I go to.
I bought a Springfield rifle from them, and have been very happy with it.
Dell has good knowledge of "Period Correct" goods and is friendly and helpful!
That's the scary part, think their store has quite a few Black powder guns, might come home with more then a book........

The problem with Del Warren at James Country is their just too dang likeable, I wouldn't personally recommend a lot of their uniforms, as they are mainly "sutler row' quality in regards to authenticity only, not construction, (but their jean uniforms are passable in that regard), but you can bet you won't find Pakistan junk in his tent, and although the uniforms, aren't very authentic, their strong and serviceable, BUT the real gem they offer is their shirts, with their Bushwacker, and Battle shirts being great in all regards. Also if your musket is down, Del can come up with strangely ingenious ways of fixing them, my old Euroarms Mississippi's lock was having issues and his method of fixing it was strange to say the least, the strangest part is, its still working years later.

I personally never had a bad experience with any sutler, and don't see it happening since I went and found people smarter than myself to teach me how to hand sew uniforms, and build muzzleloaders.

you won't find Pakistan junk in his tent,
I don't know the specific sutler, but most of "sutler row" stuff is from Pakistan.
Only when you are clearly told what US company made your stuff, can you expect anything else.

I have imported stuff directly from Pakistan a number of times and got medieval clothing made there base on my patterns and own work..
In regard to quality (sowing, the materials and similar) I have nothing to complain about and it was in no way "junk".
In regard to authenticity it is very clear that they don't have access to originals or even good reproductions. So they base their work on what ever pictures the have found online from movies, reenactments and similar.

To me "Sutler Row" goods are not limited to Pakistan made products, but also in regards to authenticity. For example the sutler I mentioned sells a great many uniforms made out of blanket weight wool, usually unlined, and looking nothing like the real article in any regard. Blanket weight wool uniforms look good to the unknowing eye, but are oppressively hot in the spring, summer, and fall, (at least here in Texas), whereas correctly done uniforms not only look so much more like the real article, but when lined, (there's no such thing as an unlined Confederate uniform amongst originals, to my knowledge), the weight of the cloth, body and lining, is WAY more comfortable, and authentic. One can be forgiven for not being aware of that, speaking for myself, shortly after making a jacket for the first time, correct to last detail, I attended a normally farby event, (in fact I'm leaving in a couple of hours to attend the same event), I marched 4 miles in 90 degrees F. with the infamous humidity from a certain bad place mentioned in the Bible and was shocked when I noticed I hadn't sweated a drop and remained comfortable, when everyone else looked like they were about to die from the heat in their blanket wool uniforms, and jean uniforms of "Sutler Row" quality. (The "wholesale" Jean cloth normally seen from sutler row tend to be woven too tightly, and other factors I'm not currently aware of, but suffice to say, its very uncomfortable)

When it comes to the sutler mentioned they build their uniforms in their local town in Missouri, giving many an elderly lady something to do in their old age, at least from what I understand. There are many sutlers in the States, but the vast majority have gone over to Pakistan stuff, which while usually very well constructed. their patterns are off, (that could be solved if someone just sent them a pattern or two lol), but the cloth, while lighter than some blanket weight products, it is oppressively hot, at least here in the Deep South, and while I don't currently have proof, my personal suspicion is that their is a lot of polyester mixed in with their wool, and another factor when considering them, is the color. While the US made blanket wool uniform in gray tend toward darker shades, Pakistan items are instantly discernable because of the light shade, and the same can be said other colors they're products are made in.

I'm not trying to be mean, or hostile in any regard, I'm just explaining why to me Pakistan made items, and many other "Sutler Row" items are to me junk, I went out educated myself, found others more educated to learn from, and have now found myself looking down at many a product on sutler row, because the thought going through my mind is its junk, and I can make it better and cheaper for myself lol. I personally used to look upon the more authentically minded among us as snobs, but now I know why, uniform wise at least, you look better, your more comfortable hot or cold, and one can say they have kit just like what our 19th century ancestors had, just bigger around, especially in my case lol.

To me "Sutler Row" goods are not limited to Pakistan made products, but also in regards to authenticity. For example the sutler I mentioned sells a great many uniforms made out of blanket weight wool, usually unlined, and looking nothing like the real article in any regard. Blanket weight wool uniforms look good to the unknowing eye, but are oppressively hot in the spring, summer, and fall, (at least here in Texas), whereas correctly done uniforms not only look so much more like the real article, but when lined, (there's no such thing as an unlined Confederate uniform amongst originals, to my knowledge), the weight of the cloth, body and lining, is WAY more comfortable, and authentic. One can be forgiven for not being aware of that, speaking for myself, shortly after making a jacket for the first time, correct to last detail, I attended a normally farby event, (in fact I'm leaving in a couple of hours to attend the same event), I marched 4 miles in 90 degrees F. with the infamous humidity from a certain bad place mentioned in the Bible and was shocked when I noticed I hadn't sweated a drop and remained comfortable, when everyone else looked like they were about to die from the heat in their blanket wool uniforms, and jean uniforms of "Sutler Row" quality. (The "wholesale" Jean cloth normally seen from sutler row tend to be woven too tightly, and other factors I'm not currently aware of, but suffice to say, its very uncomfortable)

When it comes to the sutler mentioned they build their uniforms in their local town in Missouri, giving many an elderly lady something to do in their old age, at least from what I understand. There are many sutlers in the States, but the vast majority have gone over to Pakistan stuff, which while usually very well constructed. their patterns are off, (that could be solved if someone just sent them a pattern or two lol), but the cloth, while lighter than some blanket weight products, it is oppressively hot, at least here in the Deep South, and while I don't currently have proof, my personal suspicion is that their is a lot of polyester mixed in with their wool, and another factor when considering them, is the color. While the US made blanket wool uniform in gray tend toward darker shades, Pakistan items are instantly discernable because of the light shade, and the same can be said other colors they're products are made in.

I'm not trying to be mean, or hostile in any regard, I'm just explaining why to me Pakistan made items, and many other "Sutler Row" items are to me junk, I went out educated myself, found others more educated to learn from, and have now found myself looking down at many a product on sutler row, because the thought going through my mind is its junk, and I can make it better and cheaper for myself lol. I personally used to look upon the more authentically minded among us as snobs, but now I know why, uniform wise at least, you look better, your more comfortable hot or cold, and one can say they have kit just like what our 19th century ancestors had, just bigger around, especially in my case lol.
There might just be some polyester in those uniforms and you are right there are no unlined confederate jackets.

It amazes me about sutlers. They have a niche market. It's highly specialized. It amazes me further that they abuse their customers. They should treat these customers like gold, like Golem treats tthe One Ring in Lord of the Rings. "My precious!"

It's not all sutlers though who abuse customers. It seems that it's only the real high-end ones to me that abuse customers.

You'll enjoy the experience - they are really great folks.

It's not all sutlers though who abuse customers. It seems that it's only the real high-end ones to me that abuse customers.
I'm not a reenactor but have dealt with sutlers, through mail & on-line, about ten years ago. It was some CW stuff I wanted. One sutler, who was "big time", gave me problems. He didn't cheat or anything like that. He was just a sloppy businessman. The item packaging, the receipt, the instructions, missing items, oops I'm sorry, more mailing, rusty parts, oops, more emails.........etc. Don't remember the name.

While I agree with the basic premise that Pakistani goods are suspicious, I have discovered that with a bit of coaching and by providing constructive critiques, they are more than willing to adjust to your needs. Rarely have I found state-side sutlers that are so amenable.

That said, I can say that James Country is a good outfit, and I have nothing bad to say about Mercury Supply, though the latter will, at times, deal in some questionable goods.

I have bought several items from nj sekela. Type 1 forage cap, it martin sack coat and trousers. I've never had a bad experience with them. I stopped by his Gettysburg location last year and although he wasn't open he was there and took the time to talk with me. My bad sutler experience was when I attempted to purchase a sack coat check Daley. Luckily PayPal refunded my money after numerous items to contact him went unanswered.

I have bought several items from nj sekela. Type 1 forage cap, it martin sack coat and trousers. I've never had a bad experience with them. I stopped by his Gettysburg location last year and although he wasn't open he was there and took the time to talk with me. My bad sutler experience was when I attempted to purchase a sack coat check Daley. Luckily PayPal refunded my money after numerous items to contact him went unanswered.
Never bought anything from Daley. But what Daley did to you is what NJ Sekala did to us, except we never got our money back.

Back