What is your favorite Civil War quote?

I am researching the guns at the statehouse and found a letter from General Hooker to the Governor of Ohio that has become on of my favorites. He requests that an Ohio National Guard battery in Cleveland remain in service due to a confederate threat from Canada, and states:
"I need not tell you, Governor, that if anything of this sort is attempted I intend that somebody shall be hurt before it is over, if I have to go into Canada to do it. If the Canadian authorities allow our enemies to enter the territory to organize for hostile purposes, I shall exercise the same right, and if exception in taken it can be arranged afterward by negotiation."

Any list of the Top 10 most corrupt presidential administrations includes his. That is not an exaggeration but a fact. At a bare minimum it was more corrupt than the vast majority of other administrations and all the word play does not change that.

As history proves, the "most corrupt" of administrations are those the media agrees to actually report upon. They hold what the textbooks say in the palms of their hands, and unfortunately they know it.

“I beg to present you, as a Christmas gift, the city of Savannah, with 150 heavy guns and plenty of ammunition, and also about 25,000 bales of cotton.” -Sherman

Not my favorite quote, but "Dam the torpedoes!" has already been mentioned. I can only imagine Lincoln's reaction to receiving this telegram.

I am researching the guns at the statehouse and found a letter from General Hooker to the Governor of Ohio that has become on of my favorites. He requests that an Ohio National Guard battery in Cleveland remain in service due to a confederate threat from Canada, and states:
"I need not tell you, Governor, that if anything of this sort is attempted I intend that somebody shall be hurt before it is over, if I have to go into Canada to do it. If the Canadian authorities allow our enemies to enter the territory to organize for hostile purposes, I shall exercise the same right, and if exception in taken it can be arranged afterward by negotiation."
HUH!!!! Now I know why I don't like Hooker!

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue. You have been good soldiers, you can be good citizens. Obey the laws, preserve your honor, and the Government to which you have surrendered can afford to be, and will be, magnanimous." ~ Forrest's Farewell Address to his men

Back