What is your favorite Battlefield?

BronxYankee

Corporal
Antietam for me. I mean Gettysburg was an amazing visit as well. There was a haunting appeal to Antietam and is kept up well. Walking Bloody Lane was definitely an experience I’ll never forget.

TSJ

Private
1. Gettysburg and the city of Gettysburg - the 'Disney World' of the CW' - seeing a Union or Confederate General walking the sidewalk is not out of place here- so much to study and see and learn

2. Grand Gulf, MS - the museum, Ft Wade, the buildings, the former MS River bed and the present river flowing by and its isolation make it a 'back in time' experience

3. Olustee FL - How did men have the bravery to stand there on flat land hiding behind pinetrees and palmettos and kill each other ? It looks different that most battlefields (VA, MS, GA, etc)

4. Appomattox - I felt I was in 1865 -

5. Dyer Field - Chickamauga, GA - I can envision Longstreet's Charge breaking into the open and Rosecran's men running away and Lytle charging into the oncoming gray wave and die urging his men on
I would love to visit each and every one of them

American87

Sergeant
Antietam for me. I mean Gettysburg was an amazing visit as well. There was a haunting appeal to Antietam and is kept up well. Walking Bloody Lane was definitely an experience I’ll never forget.

Sounds like you really resonated with Bloody Lane. I found the Cornfield to be more visceral. And Burnside's Bridge seemed strange, like there wasn't even a battle there, imo.

Yeah, Bloody Lane was an experience. I have mentioned this several times that it was like my Alamo experience, hair raising like you're on sacred ground!

WScott

Private
I would agree with the Battlefield of Sharpsburg, what I consider to be Lee's greatest battle. Much of the landscape and the confines of Sharpsburg have kept the battlefield as I would imagine it looked like in 1862. Each phase and character of the battle (Millers Cornfield, Dunker Church, Bloody Lane, Burnside Bridge, the Village of Sharpsburg and more) can be viewed and appreciated by the visitor while the battle can be recreated in ones mind. And with the the lower visitor numbers and cars (compared to Gettysburg) you can take your time and enjoy your visit.