What Is This Guy Doing? Buying Relics

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
Came across this photo in the MDHA and it shows a man with some young boys. He has a few parrott shells and cannon balls by his side and some of the boys still have shells by them. I believe is buying relics that these boys scavenged from the Vicksburg battlefield. What do you think?

artillery shells.png

You're probably correct. Be carefull what you pick up. The boy in the foreground appears to have an exploding shell (cannon ball).

Could be one of my GG Great Uncles. It looks like the boy in front of him has a handful of something.

There were many who would pay a small price to people who would bring relics to them. The most famous of these was Zack Davis. He had a store and souvenir shop on Jackson Road, just outside the park boundary. The park superintendent tried several different ways to shut him down, but all met with failure. Here is a photo of his shell collection.

3A5160AD-0C08-473B-9FB3-3C51C2BB2518.jpeg

283E891E-C931-447B-BC2F-B784AA996610.jpeg

Came across this photo in the MDHA and it shows a man with some young boys. He has a few parrott shells and cannon balls by his side and some of the boys still have shells by them. I believe is buying relics that these boys scavenged from the Vicksburg battlefield. What do you think?

View attachment 299866

He is obviously explaining how such things are dangerous and they should not touch them except to bring such to him so that nobody gets hurt.

Back