Restricted What is the rationale behind the current wave to remove Confederate statues and Monuments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.Warren

First Sergeant
Let us steer this ship back on course.
A friendly command posted by moderator JerseyBart
A friendly command is, Smoke em if you got em, or even parade rest, after hours at attention. :smile: I'm just messing and point received JerseyBart. I thought it was on topic or at least plausible. Apologies for my mistake.

JerseyBart

Brigadier General
Forum Host
A friendly command is, Smoke em if you got em, or even parade rest, after hours at attention. :smile: I'm just messing and point received JerseyBart. I thought it was on topic or at least plausible. Apologies for my mistake.
No problem at all. Just an in general reminder to all, including me.

samuel orris

Sergeant
Stone Mountain was a tremendous disappointment when I was there about 20 years ago. Tiny figures scratched on the side of the rock face, and a tired looking amusement park. Its obviously trying to ape Mount Rushmore, but it just comes across as pathetic. Leaving aside none of the folks were even from Georgia.
Thanks for the tip, but still . . .
Wasn't aware of an amusement park.

R. Alex Raines

First Sergeant
No, you don't like the answer so it isn't relevant to you, but the connections between Lee as commander in chief of all confederate forces, the service of the Louisiana Tigers and other Louisiana troops under Lee, and Lee's role in, importance to the south before, during and after the war is important to history. That it means nothing to you is meaningless to me.
Lee was never commander in chief of all Confederate forces. That role always belonged to Jefferson Davis. CSA Constitution, Article 2 Section 2 Part 1.

JerseyBart

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Lee was never commander in chief of all Confederate forces. That role always belonged to Jefferson Davis. CSA Constitution, Article 2 Section 2 Part 1.
Sorry, general in chief, but it doesn't matter anyway as is has no relevance to history.

M.Warren

First Sergeant
But...back to the topic now. It would be a time and money consuming/wasting effort for towns and states to remove these monuments. They have plenty of historical importance so use them to understand, add to, explain and/or correct history.
Couldn't agree more. Only I'd add that while some profit from it, Walmart etc., votes are of endless monetary value. Cost in that case is a moot point, unfortunately.. We're paying for it, not them..

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
The General-in-Chief of the Confederate States Army was the senior-most officer in the Army of the Confederate States of America, during the American Civil War. The first and only holder of this position was General Robert E. Lee.
The plaque says Commander in Chief, not General in Chief. If I recall correctly, he was made General in Chief way too late in the war to do much good. Had he been made General in Chief earlier, the outcome might have been different.

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel
I beg to differ.

"He was named commander-in-chief of all Confederate armies on January 23, 1865, but it was too late for coordinated action between the theaters and the dangers in Virginia occupied most of his attention."

http://www.historynet.com/robert-e-lee

18thVirginia

Major
If pandering is defined as "politicians doing what the folks I disagree with want them to do," then it's pandering. The comment is out of context now. It was said that politicians wanting to remove the statues are "pandering." The same can be said of the era in which they were placed.

Confederate Veteran magazine had a whole page on Lee Circle in 1898. Here are some quotes from that page, which can be accessed here.
https://books.google.com/books?id=z...ATBzrf4AQ&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Lee Monument stands in Lee Circle, one of the most central points int the city of New Orleans from which radiates several of its most beautiful avenues and streets. Along these and over the thousands of Confederate homes that line them the majestic statue of Robert E. Lee, that surmounts it, looks down upon the metropolis of the South...

The article notes that The Robert E. Lee Monumental Association was formed in November, 1870, at the death of Lee.

Confederate Veteran continues:

Those were dark days with every citizen of Louisiana, and poverty and anxiety sat by every honest hearthstone in Louisiana. Subscriptions came but not as the hearts of the people would have given if able, and the enterprise languished. In 1876, the overthrow of radicalism and Negro rule in Louisiana was about accomplished. There was a rift in the dark cloud that hung like a pall upon New Orleans, and a reorganization of the association was effected on the 18th of February of that year. Eleven members of the original board had died in the meantime and the following officers were then selected: Capt. Charles E. Fenner, President, Gen. P. T. Beauregard, Vice-President...

...When the statue was completed the board selected the anniversary of the birth of Washington, February 22, 1884, as an appropriate occasion for the ceremony of unveiling. The day was made a great one in the annals of this city.

rpkennedy

Lt. Colonel
Member of the Year
Yes these hate groups need to stop useing it for that. My ancestors fought for there honor and there home

They were also fighting in defense of a nation whose express reason for existence was the protection and maintenance of slavery. You can't separate the two.

And it's not just hate groups. Look who was bearing the flag in the mid twentieth century.

R

R. Alex Raines

First Sergeant
I beg to differ.

"He was named commander-in-chief of all Confederate armies on January 23, 1865, but it was too late for coordinated action between the theaters and the dangers in Virginia occupied most of his attention."

http://www.historynet.com/robert-e-lee
Rebforever, if you are going to say I am factually wrong, how about you back it up with some actual evidence. That link that you posted isn't proof of anything. I say that because it has no actual attribution to original sources for any of its claims. Meanwhile, here is a copy of the actual order making him General in Chief, not Commander in Chief.

rpkennedy

Lt. Colonel
Member of the Year
I understand but my ancesotrs and most people who fought for the south didnt own sdslaves they were poor farmers

More than 40% of the men who fought in the Army of Northern Virginia were either slave owners or the sons of slaveowners. And that doesn't count the number of people who rented slaves or who profited from slavery. Slavery was much more widespread than many believe.

R

Status
Not open for further replies.