What is the proper way to load from the front rank while kneeling?

Here it is right from the manual
20200511_175132.jpg
20200511_175149.jpg

The main thing to remember is keeping the piece pointed away from you. I see new guys make the mistake of putting it vertically right in front of them with the muzzle right in their face, that's a big no no. As long as you keep your piece at your side pointed down range you'll be fine.

Thanks this is really helpful. I usually end up in the rear rank anyway but I just want to be prepared in case I am ever in that position.
This comes into play for everyone when taking advantage of cover in your skirmish drill or taking cover behind breastworks/fortifications. Something everyone needs to know and should be covered in drill. Also loading and firing laying down although we very rarely do that but it's good to know.

Could you describe the loading process while laying down? I hadn't thought about that when I asked the original question.
You load while lying on your back. You make a V with your feet and rest the butt in the V while holding the muzzle above and pointed slightly up away from your face. You roll on your left side with the piece at your side to prime, then roll on your stomach to fire. I'm about to hit the sack, I'll photo it out of the manual in the morning if you like.

That would be great and super helpful, we don't typically go over that kind of stuff in drill and something we never do is skirmishing if you have any tips for that it would be super helpful.
I'll do it in the morning. You should be doing it in drill. My best advice is to pick up a manual and do your homework. Try to at least get a decent grasp of the manual of arms, school of the soldier, and school of the company.
there's also some great stuff on youtube, check out Civil War Digital Digest videos. Looking at your avatar I assume your Federal, pick up a copy of Casey's manual which was the official Federal manual (which is pretty much identical to the revised Hardee's manual with a couple small differences.) Confederates use mostly Hardee's and some units use Gilham's. Signing off for now, if you have any questions fire away, there's several of us on here that are happy to help.

Although the above advice has been really good - jebuz, consult the manuals - a diffferent question is why you're kneeling in the front rank. You should be standing. Kneeling in the front rank was instructed in Scott's three rank system, but when troops were in two ranks, the front rank stood.

- S.S. Mucket

Although the above advice has been really good - jebuz, consult the manuals - a diffferent question is why you're kneeling in the front rank. You should be standing. Kneeling in the front rank was instructed in Scott's three rank system, but when troops were in two ranks, the front rank stood.

- S.S. Mucket
I left that part of the equation alone :whistling: hey they do it in the movies

- S.S. Mucket
It was honestly more of a question out of curiosity, I am relatively new to reenacting some I have a lot of questions about stuff like that which I haven't gained an extensive knowledge of yet.

Back