Featured What is the deal with George Armstrong Custer?

theoldman

First Sergeant
Actually not. Custer was a real Brigadier (of Volunteers) and thus acted with the full authority. He later became a brevet BG of the Regulars, but that didn´t make a difference as he still was a BG of Volunteers. After the war ended his volunteer commission ended when he was mustered out, and so did the Brigadier's authority.
You are correct. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I'm still not convinced about the Cheyenne. You know, the stories come much later and after anyone involved first hand was long dead. I know oral histories are very often accurate, and very often all there is - they can't be discounted. However...I have my problems with items coming from Indian Country! They are strongly political and have a distinct anti-white bias. Their version strongly implies kidnapping and rape - don't think Custer was that low! I'd like to see more research done and, anyway, they say there are blond descendants of Custer's kids - maybe one day they'll give a bit of DNA and we can see... Oh, wait, that wouldn't do, would it... I mean Sally Hemmings and Tom, after all, it could be a brother... :rolleyes: Actually, I wouldn't doubt Custer had an Indian girl friend somewhere along the line. Many men thought it was cheating only if the other woman was white. Sheridan had a whole slue of Indian women when he was out here and even invited his favorite back to Washington to visit - guess his wife was ok with that. :cautious:

It's an oral tradition, so it may or may not be accurate. There was an oral tradition among the Hemmings descendants that they were Jeffersons. Lo and behold, they are descended from a Jefferson. :smile: It may or may not be Thomas Jefferson, but it's a Jefferson.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Speculation. He seems to have performed well enough in a McClellan saddle.

The only evidence possible is some sort of analysis of Custer's remains, interred at West Point. Good luck with that.

I'm not aware that sterility affects one's performance in a McClellan saddle.