What is that by his hand?

I think Wilber6150, would be the person to go to, as to enhance and enlarge the image, in his interesting things in photograph thread.

I wouldn't mind seeing enlargements of the entire photograph myself.

The half roll tin, might have the other half elsewhere to use as a cap or the bottom, as to make a round container. Might have been used for almost anything really. What comes to mind for me, is one half of a tin pie safe. The pie in a tin pie plate, two halves made of tin would envelope the entire pie plate as to serve as a container while traveling. With the ability to then stack pies, one could take several pies in a picnic basket, along with other goods. The same could be for several tin plates for traveling.

If it was a roll can of bandages, like gauze --it would contain enough for a whole body. But, with a surgeon--this might be a worthy way of storing clean bandages in a roll. To me though, looks too narrow for hospital bandages.

The tin, in my opinion is very shiny for the rest of the surroundings.

This is very interesting though! Thank you for sharing!

Respectfully submitted,
M. E. Wolf

Gandycreek,

You wrote:
I think it may be the bottom half of a rationbox canteen.Here's a pic from Mike O'Donnell's canteen book
Expired Image Removed

I think you have a much better identity than my thoughts! Well done sir! -- Well done! :thumbsup:

Respectfully submitted,
M. E. Wolf

Gandycreek,

You wrote:

I think you have a much better identity than my thoughts! Well done sir! -- Well done! :thumbsup:

Respectfully submitted,
M. E. Wolf
Thanks. I also think the photo is staged similar to this one.:wink:
755px-Confederate_Dead_at_Devils_Den_Gettysburg.jpg

I don`t know what the object in question is but, I do believe the photo is posed.
Here (if I can do this right) are two pictures. the first is a photo the same soldier taken from another point of view. Notice the second soldier lying beyond the original soldier. He has no rifle. The secondphoto is of this second man. only now he has a rifle laying across his body. 3c04043u.jpg3c04042u.jpg
These photos were found here. http://www.americancivilwarphotos.com/?page=25

JMB57,

Excellent! Thank you for adding your photographs to the study.

In the O.R.s, there would be a detail to collect weapons, ordnance and such from the battlefield, especially if they were in possession of it, recorded.

So, it is believable in my opinion, that the photograph was staged.

Respectfully submitted,
M. E. Wolf

Back