What is a reasonable price to pay for a decent .69 caliber buck and ball paper cartridge?

drm2m

Sergeant
I would like one decent example to go with these two muskets.

DSC09306_zps21sa67ha.jpg

Springfield%20M1816%20musket%20with%201827%20dated%20lock%20plate_zpshzwgh1is.jpg

U.S.%20Model%201842%20Lock%20plate%20dated%201843_zpskdclsrnw.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Lanyard Puller,

Thanks for your response.
The reason that I am asking this question is------ I saw one advertised for $950 in the U.S.
I am not likely to find one where I live---Province of Quebec in Canada.

Why not make one of your own? Over the years I have owned any number of sometimes weird caliber arms and, like you, I wanted to display an example of what they fired, along with the arm. After purchasing what I assumed were purportedly original cartridges, sometimes at a stiff price, I realized that I could do a pretty good job of making these cartridges myself. While I understood that the cartridge was of recent manufacture I suspect that some of the early cartridges I purchased were put together long after the historical period they were supposed to be from. By the way, so that no one ever tried to load and fire the thing with the display cartridge, I used a dummy powder charge.

I would just like one original example to put in this display case.

Cartridge%20display_zpsircwg38o.jpg

I bought this display in Gettysburg years ago.

Civil%20War%20War%20bullets--June%2024%202001_zpspglmp44j.jpg

I also bought this '60 Colt Army at the same time. (June 24 2001.)

DSC08842_zpsohhi4pzq.jpg

This is what caused me to post this question.

https://uniondb.com/products/69-caliber-buck-shot-round
Yeah, they will have that round a very long time at that price. They are asking more than a Whitworth cartridge is worth, at least according to the latest Civil War collector's Price Guide! The Guide shows that a buck and ball cartridge for flintlock runs $180, if you can find one.

Last edited:
Back