Discussion What if you could be that proverbial fly on the wall for a single Civil War event?

Amazing, almost every single response to this question, elicited an "OH YEAH" from me. When I got to the first mention of witnessing the scene between Lee and Grant at Appomattox, it struck me that as compelling as that scene would have been, the next day would have been more so. What was the atmosphere when Lee's army stacked arms and marched through the Union troops lining the way. What was the atmosphere? How did the defeated Rebels act? What was the attitude of the Union troops lining their way. Were the Rebels dejected? Were the Yankees respectful?

I have read many fictional accounts that emphasize the solemnity of the occasion; the mutual respect shown by each side, acknowledging their former foes accomplishments.

NDR5thNY

Private
Silver Patron
Amazing, almost every single response to this question, elicited an "OH YEAH" from me. When I got to the first mention of witnessing the scene between Lee and Grant at Appomattox, it struck me that as compelling as that scene would have been, the next day would have been more so. What was the atmosphere when Lee's army stacked arms and marched through the Union troops lining the way. What was the atmosphere? How did the defeated Rebels act? What was the attitude of the Union troops lining their way. Were the Rebels dejected? Were the Yankees respectful?

I have read many fictional accounts that emphasize the solemnity of the occasion; the mutual respect shown by each side, acknowledging their former foes accomplishments.
The Confederates were understandably despondent but the Yankees were very gracious! There is an excellent account in the history of the 26 TH North Carolina Troops. The title is “Covered with Glory.”

Lubliner

Captain
Forum Host

Chamberlain from Maine wrote of that final scene in one of his books.
Lubliner.