What if the Confederates captured the Union army at Chatanooga

eopfrank

Cadet
I think about this often. After Gettysburg, Lee's army retreated and Meade did not pursue him(Which was one of the worst mistakes of the war). Therefore, The ANV was not beaten Vicksburg had fallen and that was a terrible loss for the Confederates. Those two combined were very significant to the outcome of the war. But I think that if The Confederates were successful in laying siege to the Union army at Chattanooga and were able to capture the entire army- as Grant had done at Vicksburg- they may have had a chance at overall victory in the months to come- or a negotiated peace(Which is a Southern Victory). What do you think?

Let's say there was no siege of Chattanooga because Bragg routed and destroyed the Union army at Chickamauga. Other Union forces would rush there to block any Confederate progress northwards. The Army of the Potomac would start rumbling and then Lee would want his old war horse back. Afterwards, the Army of Tennessee would be outnumbered again and would have to remain on the defensive.

Next result, war is prolonged, casualties higher, but the North would still win.

Best chance would have been for a prolonged war and the Northerners lose heart and vote the democrats into office instead of Abe.

I would say that is a horrible "what if." Bragg didn't stand a chance of laying a victorious siege.Do you know why it is not often that you here of a Federal force under siege during the war? Because the South itself was a nation under siege. I believe it would be hard to lay siege within a siege. Laying siege was a futile effort, Bragg was just trying to make up for the blunder of letting the federals slip away intact.

Back