What if Lee and Forrest

G

gunsmoke

What would be your thoughts, if Lee, and Forrest had been teamed together, instead of Lee and Stuart? How would that combination, have possibly changed the events, in the east?

Gunsmoke

Forrest and Lee... I wonder if they would have gotten along at all. Stuart and Lee got along famously but Forrest was at odds w/ several of his commanders. Bragg to say the least.

Being at odds with Bragg did not exactly put Forrest in a league of his own. Lee and Stuart went back a long way, and I believe that they respected and trusted one another. For that matter, Lee earned the respect of many men, while Bragg did not fare so well, I'm afraid. Whether or not Lee and Forrest would have clashed, I don't know, but I can't imagine anyone not wanting to command a man like Forrest.

Traveller

I don't feel, that Lee and Forrest, would have clashed. Lee, knew the limitations, of each of his soldiers, and I'am not sure if Forrest had any limits. Lee could have made his wishes known, to Forrest, and then tuned the whole situation over to him. It certainly would be hard, to say if that combo, would have changed the outcome of the war, but there may have been a good possibility.

Gunsmoke

The better question is,"How would Stuart have fared in the west?" We have to remember, very little press was to be got in the western theatre, while Stuart could easily be in the papers in the east.

(Message edited by Dan_Curtis on April 23, 2004)

Stuart, was excellent, at his job, and I feel, that he would have done well in the west. I've had my doubts, as to his, seeking fame, in the newspapers.

Stuart, wouldn't have been a thorn, in the side, of the western union armies, like Forrest was, but Forrest was in a class by himself.

Charlie

It's possible, that I get carried away with them. No offense taken.

Charlie

Awww, give Charlie, a break, that's how, I know, it's him, in all, the Civil War clubs that we're in together.

If we're going to be picky, it's "fared," not "faired."

There was actually a lot of press coverage in the Western Theater in the Federal states. In fact, a lot of times the reporters got news back to their papers faster than the Generals got their reports to Washington. Taps into telegraph lines had something to do with this.

And as with all other Confederates who weren't in the West, of course the Confederacy would have won if only JEB Stuart had been there!!

Zou

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather, how about if Forrest was brought in to lead a corps after the death of Jackson. It's likely that Gettysburg would have been a Confederate victory and Cemetery & Culp's Hill captured the first day. Meade would have been driven back towards Washington with Lee nipping at his heals. There would be no battle for the Round Tops or Pickett's charge as the battle would have been a one day affair.

Yes it would be interesting if Forrest was sent to replace Jackson. I don't think Forrest would have made the errors, that happened on that first day. Even if Cemetery and Culp's Hills, weren't taken on the first day, Forrest genus for planning might could have come up with a battle plan that Lee would have accepted changing the one he had made which led up to disaster.

Right on Shane ....Forrest is by far one of my favorites of the Civil War.I like his in your face approach to things,and his ability to make calm,quick decisions at times when other leaders would have to stop,and study the problem at hand.Another reason I like him might be the fact that I had 7 great uncles that rode under his command.

Marty Allen
2nd Lt.Commander
Forrest/Longstreet Camp
SCV

I have nothing but respect for Forrest and all of his accomplishments, but I find it hard to believe one man could make such a difference in the total outcome, but it may have happened at Gettysburg. There seemed to be so many turning points. It would have been interesting to say the least. What would have been the outcome if Lee had pulled out after Day 2, beside a lot less Confederate casualties?

Traveller

Back