What if Jackson was alive during the Overland campaign

eopfrank

Cadet
Would jackson made a significant difference in the Summer of 1864 when Grant Made his Push South? Or was it impossible to stop Grant's army as it pushed south regardless of the casualties?

I doubt if anyone could have stopped Grant. Regardless if Jackson was alive or not, the fact was that the south was out of resources by that time. Jacksons presence may have only delayed the innevitable. I believe that if he had went on to Washington in May of 1861, the war would have been over before it had actually started. Longstreet had a relitivly fresh Brigade at Blackburns ford. There were also fresh regiments at Mitchells and Mcleans fords. Plus I believe that Early, Evans and Holmes all had fresh troops. I dont understand why Davis didn't go for Jacksons plan.

Traveller

Grant exposed himself several times but Lee was too sick to take notice. Had Jackson been there, Grant's army would have been seriously mauled. Grant however would have continued to draw on other resources to continue the offensive. If nothing else, he would have waited for Sherman to march up from the South and the North would still have won the war.

If Jackson was still alive at this point, he would have been at Gettysburg, and the yanks would have been whooped long before the overland campaign.

Remember the North Anna? Grant's army was divided in half by the river and it was a prime opportunity to destroy an isolated portion. Lee was sick and his scouts didn't learn how exposed Grant was. If Ole' Jack was there, he would have taken it upon himself to roll up Grant.

Back