Stuart What if J.E.B. Stuart is not killed at the Battle of Yellow Tavern?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
How much did the death of Stuart impact the War? After May of 1864 I am not sure that there was much that Stuart could have done that would have made a real difference. Although he was not educated at West Point Wade Hampton III did not seem to have done a bad job. Could have J.E.B. Stuart have performed better than Hampton?

I personally think Wade Hampton did as good job in the circumstances facing the Confederates as Stuart would have done. Hampton was able to stop Sheridan's attempt to join Hunter at Trevilian Station, scout and hold position until Confederate infantry could organize counterattacks in front of Petersburg. Hampton could also invoke some of the Jeb Stuart spirit as demonstrated by the September 1864 Beefsteak Raid during which he captured 2400 head of cattle and 300 prisoners taken from behind Federal lines.

Some generals get more credit than they might deserve and others do not get the credit they should get. General Hampton may deserve more credit than he has been given.

Agreed. It's all about timing, and by the time Hampton rose to prominence and firmly took over Stuart's role, the die was cast on the outcome of the war.

As for Stuart, the decline of the Confederate cavalry of the ANV had already begun due to lack of good horses. I don't believe he could've done much more than Hampton did

I don't about what would have happend had he lived, but I will say this, amongst all the high ranking officers that died in the Civil War, to me, Jeb's was by far saddest, he was only 31.

I'll never support the South's cause, but Stuarts death hit me in a way others didn't.

Back