What if...Gettysburg/Vicksburg

The predominant theory always seems to state the Union's superior manufacturing power and ability to generate resources ensured its victory.

I'm not a military strategist, but I've made this observation: Wars are not generally won by killing the other side's soldiers. Wars are won by removing the other side's will to fight. Viet Nam and Mogadishu come to mind. Obviously superior forces pulled out for fear of body count, political backlash and internal disagreement.

I hate "what ifs" also (remember chaos theory?), but I believe that a couple of major victories by the South, such as a double-header at Vicksburg and Gettysburg, could have caused a fatal splintering the Union's resolve. Although I doubt that the Federal army would have ever lost in terms of force, it could have lost in terms of maintaining the Union.

I believe that was Lee's strategy for the Pennsylvania excursion. He knew he couldn't win on strength alone. He wanted a couple of quick uppercuts in the hope that the Union would sue for peace and let the secession stand.

Daniel, exactly! I agree with your idea that the North was very susceptible to morale problems. Faith in your cause has just as much to do with wining a war as the number of men and guns you can put on the battlefield.

If the South had been able to win at Gettysburg, Vicksburg and maybe even Shiloh, I think we would need passports today to go South of the Ohio River.

Unionblue

The votes, that I was referring to, were the votes, of the northern delegates in Washington. The source, I was reading stated, that only a small majority favored, continuing the war. If Lee could have scored a win, the small majority, might have fallen, to where the majority, of delegates, would have been in favor, of ending the war. Maybe, that source was incorrect. With all the odds and ends, that I've been reading, it will take awhile to find, where I read this.

If the south had won at Shiloh, its likely it would been much longer before a major campaign was made toward Vicksburg.
Its possible that the loss at Shiloh would have been the demise of Grant as a army commander. And who else was around to take his place and kept moving forward as Grant did. Or would the western armies become like the eastern. Have a battle, go home and nurse their wounds and then go look for another fight.
Chuck in IL.

Back