What Hypothetical Battle Match-Ups Would You Have Most Wanted To See?

JeffBrooks

2nd Lieutenant
Without getting into details of where, with what armies, when, and so forth, let's have a little fun and chat about hypothetical match-ups between Union and Confederate generals that never actually happened but which would have been very interesting.

For me, I really would have been fascinated by a battle in which George Thomas went up against Robert E. Lee. Thomas was the defensive mastermind, as proved at Stones River, Chickamauga, and Peachtree Creek., while Lee was the aggressive and tactically skilled attacker. The personal dynamic between the two men would have added to the drama, methinks.

What's your choice?

With the same numbers and the same ordnance, N. Bedford Forrest vs. Grant. A true slug-fest, to be sure. (IMHO, Forrest would be the victor).:sabre:

Not sure that Forrest would win. Part of his recipe for success came from spooking and frightening the opposing commander. Grant wasn't afraid of anybody and wouldn't have been afraid of Forrest.

Not sure that Forrest would win. Part of his recipe for success came from spooking and frightening the opposing commander. Grant wasn't afraid of anybody and wouldn't have been afraid of Forrest.

I agree on that match-up. Grant didn't scare worth beans although it can be noted Forrest was the only one who gave him a case of goosebumps for a second or two. But the same can be said for Grant - at Ft Donelson he got Forrest to praying! They were both stubborn, never give an inch, no retreat commanders who didn't think inside the box. Might be a matter of simple luck in a contest between them, especially equally matched.

I agree on that match-up. Grant didn't scare worth beans although it can be noted Forrest was the only one who gave him a case of goosebumps for a second or two. But the same can be said for Grant - at Ft Donelson he got Forrest to praying! They were both stubborn, never give an inch, no retreat commanders who didn't think inside the box. Might be a matter of simple luck in a contest between them, especially equally matched.
I agree with you on this one, Diane. Grant and Forrest would both be like a dog to a bone fighting over Fort Donelson, and Forrest didn't want to let it go so easily. No way was Grant going to let it go either. Grant's ultimatum “No terms except unconditional and immediate surrender can be accepted. I propose to move immediately upon your works.” would not have gone down well with Forrest. In fact, it would be like a red rag to a bull! Though, Forrest was as smart as a fox in getting away from the place when he had to.

But I wonder who wanted to face the other down more in this scenario:

Forrest vs Sherman in Atlanta.

Last edited:
Cleburne vs Hancock
Sheridan vs Forrest
Sherman vs Lee
Jefferson c Davis vs Joe davis
Pickett vs a mess of Shad
Pickett Vs Custer or as I like to call it... ‘The battle of the two George’s’, Pickett with his golden spurs, tailored uniform and immaculate hair versus Custer with his dashing cavalier image and golden locks, it wouldn’t be a conventional battle by any means, the outcome of the battle would simply be judged on how awesome each George looked and how many times they managed to get their picture taken.

I agree with you on this one, Diane. Grant and Forrest would both be like a dog to a bone fighting over Fort Donelson, and Forrest didn't want to let it go so easily. No way was Grant going to let it go either. Grant's ultimatum “No terms except unconditional and immediate surrender can be accepted. I propose to move immediately upon your works.” would not have gone down well with Forrest. In fact, it would be like a red rag to a bull! Though, Forrest was as smart as a fox in getting away from the place when he had to.

But I wonder who wanted to face the other down more in this scenario:

Forrest vs Sherman in Atlanta.

Forrest vs Sherman anywhere would be intriguing. Sherman liked to waltz through Georgia with Johnston because he was a 'sensible man who did sensible things'. Not Forrest! Sherman said Forrest gave him the willies because he could never figure him out...but Forrest always figured Sherman out. I think if the two were matched equally, Sherman might have found fighting talents he didn't know he had, but Forrest didn't wait for an enemy to find those talents. There would have been no Franklin or Nashville, and Forrest would not have been giving ground anywhere without showing fight, unlike Johnston. Every inch Sherman took would be hard won. Lincoln might well have lost the election.

Pickett Vs Custer or as I like to call it... ‘The battle of the two George’s’, Pickett with his golden spurs, tailored uniform and immaculate hair versus Custer with his dashing cavalier image and golden locks, it wouldn’t be a conventional battle by any means, the outcome of the battle would simply be judged on how awesome each George looked and how many times they managed to get their picture taken.
If those were the RoE, then I'd pit Custer v. Frank Armstrong (It seems "Handsome" must have been the man's royal title, for ladies kept refering to him as "Handsome Frank Armstrong")

Albert Sidney fighting Grant at Shiloh and not being shot—-what if...

I'm one of those who think that AS Johnson would probably have grown as a commander, but it is only probable he drives Grant back at Shiloh, his plan for complete victory isn't feasible. The best result at Shiloh is he pushes Grant back north, delaying Union offensives by maybe a few weeks.

For my own matchups:

I'd really like to have seen Charles F. Smith survive the war, he was a fascinating character and one who could have been a great corps commander as the war went on.

Thomas vs Lee or Jackson would be an interesting match up.

Joe Johnston vs Rosecrans is one I would have liked to have seen, or even Lee vs Rosecrans.

On a smaller scale, Iron Brigade vs. Orphan Brigade.

2ndwisc.jpg

e0bc2cc26133cc40d2c725590f94835b.jpg

Back