What Have You Been Working On?

lelliott19

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
So . . . what have you been working on this week?
I found a newspaper article describing a delicate and very difficult surgical operation, performed by my 2x great uncle Dr. Cyprian Cross in Northampton County, NC in 1841. The patient complained of a chronic abscess of the right inguinal glands (lymph nodes of the groin. ) No effect could be gained by topical or "constitutional" measures. The abscess progressed and the patient's health continued to decline, until it appeared that death was about to triumph. My uncle decided to perform an inguinal lymphadenectomy - removal of the lymph nodes. It was documented in the The Roanoke Advertiser and reprinted in The Charlotte Journal (Charlotte, NC) March 18, 1841, page 2. I posted about it here https://civilwartalk.com/threads/civil-war-surgeons-underrated.154115/

It may have been the first time this particular operation was ever documented. I sent an email to the archives of the Medical School at the University of Pennsylvania. He graduated from there in 1830. I figured if one of their alums was the first to perform a difficult medical procedure like that, they'd probably want to know about it. Ill let you know if I hear back from the archivist.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Zella

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I found a newspaper article describing a delicate and very difficult surgical operation, performed by my 2x great uncle Dr. Cyprian Cross in Northampton County, NC in 1841. The patient complained of a chronic abscess of the right inguinal glands (lymph nodes of the groin. ) No effect could be gained by topical or "constitutional" measures. The abscess progressed and the patient's health continued to decline, until it appeared that death was about to triumph. My uncle decided to perform an inguinal lymphadenectomy - removal of the lymph nodes. It was documented in the The Roanoke Advertiser and reprinted in The Charlotte Journal (Charlotte, NC) March 18, 1841, page 2. I posted about it here https://civilwartalk.com/threads/civil-war-surgeons-underrated.154115/

It may have been the first time this particular operation was ever documented. I sent an email to the archives of the Medical School at the University of Pennsylvania. He graduated from there in 1830. I figured if one of their alums was the first to perform a difficult medical procedure like that, they'd probably want to know about it. Ill let you know if I hear back from the archivist.
Oh that's really cool, Laura! I'd love to hear what the archivist has to say. :smile:

TnFed

Corporal
One thing about researching your ancestors. Be prepared to be suprised. All my people during that CW era, were from around West NC and East TN. My mom and dad moved to Oregon, where I was born, and when I was one to Ohio. Growing up I always assumed that all my ancestors had wore Gray. Quite suprised to find out it was about 2/3 Confederate and 1/3 Union. Also don't be suprised if your ancestor was not exactly Ivanhoe.

Zella

First Sergeant
Forum Host
One thing about researching your ancestors. Be prepared to be suprised. All my people during that CW era, were from around West NC and East TN. My mom and dad moved to Oregon, where I was born, and when I was one to Ohio. Growing up I always assumed that all my ancestors had wore Gray. Quite suprised to find out it was about 2/3 Confederate and 1/3 Union. Also don't be suprised if your ancestor was not exactly Ivanhoe.
Great advice! My family's from the same area, and I had always been told they were all Confederste except one. The reality was much more complicated.

Viper21

Sergeant Major
I've been trying to break through a couple walls, to no avail of course. :frown:

I started working on my tree half heartedly about 15yrs ago. I started working on it seriously, about 5 yrs ago. I've run into two solid brick walls. One up my Maternal Grandfather's line, & one up my Maternal Grandmother's line. It's been an exciting journey, with lots of plot twists, & shocking revelations. I've been on my current plateau for a couple years now. The break-through moments, & new revelations are much fewer, & farther between than before.

As far as CW veterans, I've limited myself to Grandfathers, & Uncles. I've identified 14 Confederates, & a couple of Yankees so far. If I got into cousins, & in-laws, the number would jump to, dozens quickly.

I wish I could go back, & sit down with my Grandma. I have her old photo albums. There are some fantastic photos of people, who I mostly cannot identify. Photos from the 19th century, & early 20th. My mother, & I have only been able to identify 15-20% of the folks in most. My Grandma had little to no interest in genealogy. She would say when asked, "Leave em be." "Don't disturb the dead." Researching her family lines while satisfying, hasn't been real exciting. Her "people" were very...... boring so to speak. They were modest, hard working, Christian folk with little spice, or astonishing revelations.

Her husband, my Grandpa on the other hand.....lol. His lines were anything but boring. Some VERY interesting characters, full of everything you could imagine. I have found researching his lines to be much more exciting, & fun..lol. Unfortunately, he died about the time I was born, & I never knew the man. I know he was pall bearer to two of my Great Uncles who were CW veterans, including my current avatar. I would absolutely loved to have heard the stories, he heard first hand. I've been told he was a HUGE CW buff, & had a lot of reverence, & respect for his Confederate ancestors, several of whom he knew personally.

The lack of information, & ability to question either of my Maternal Grandparents, has left me determined to leave the best detailed tree I can, for future generations. In the event one of my descendants later becomes interested in it.

About once a week now, I spend a couple hours pounding at one of the two brick walls currently bothering me. Hopefully one day, I'll break through :cool:

ARW

Corporal
Forum Host
@Viper21
The fun thing about breaking a brick wall is there can sometimes be a flood just behind it. But sooner or later you will hit another.
I have four major ones for over 40 years. All are people who moved to PA late 18th or early 19th century. All four I have at least 2 states or origin listed for. One I have written referances showing him coming from Conn, RI and Long Island. Better people than me have looked for him since before I was born. But we keep looking for clues. One day someone will break it.
Good luck with your search.

Zella

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Thanks for posting that about your families, @Viper21 and @ARW!

Sorry for not getting back with you sooner on this. I've had a family emergency and likely won't be active on the forums through next week. I hope all of you continue posting about what you're working on, though, in the meantime. I'm looking forward to reading about your genealogy progress and projects when I get a chance to catch up. :smile:

Viper21

Sergeant Major

Sorry for not getting back with you sooner on this. I've had a family emergency and likely won't be active on the forums through next week. I hope all of you continue posting about what you're working on, though, in the meantime. I'm looking forward to reading about your genealogy progress and projects when I get a chance to catch up. :smile:
Sorry to hear you're dealing with a family issue. All this stuff can wait. Hope everything works out for you, & your family.

ARW

Corporal
Forum Host

Hope everything comes out alright for you and your family.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)